Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 HELP!! I don't understand WIND! >

HELP!! I don't understand WIND!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

HELP!! I don't understand WIND!

Old 11-15-2008, 02:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default HELP!! I don't understand WIND!

I'm really into bow hunting!! Most of my relatives and friends don't understand how I can be into something that i have not had much sucess at. Yea I've killed a few deer, small bucks but am focused on deer management and only shooting wall hangers for the last 2 years. I have not seen a mature whitetail buck for years. Until the other day, I saw a nice 10 point. I know the direction that he COMES OFTEN, but one can never know where a buck comes from always during rut.

Now to my question. I DONT UNDERSTAND WIND AND HUNTING A STAND. I know that you want your stand to be downwind of where your buck comes out of. How is it possible to know where he is going to come from in a particular morning or afternoon? I dont want to ruin my chances of getting this buck and feel that wind is one reason I have had little success.

Old 11-15-2008, 02:30 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: HELP!! I don't understand WIND!

If you know ther trail he comes down usually then i would assume thats where he would be coming from so i would put my stand down wind from than.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

play it the way you usually would, just be twice as aware of whats around you.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:00 PM
Spike

You can never predict what all deer will do but you can make an educated guess and play the wind accordingly. That is the best you can do, and despite your best efforts sometimes the deer will just do the exact opposite of what you expect.

Good luck!!
Old 11-15-2008, 07:02 PM
Fork Horn

I cant say rub your gear down with some fresh leaves. sounds crazy but the deer wont think different of smelling freshly fallen leaves...I used that when i hunt a stand or stalk. Also wash your undergarments and and gear in baking soda before rubbing with leaves...i have found i have had more success while using "cover scent" natural to the surrounding enviroment.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:45 PM

If you have those "Fresh Earth" cover discs, pin one to the hat, one to each shoulder and one just to the side of each knee.....yea ya look kinda funny but the buck won't be laughing after ya lace a nice 3-blade through the bagpipes!!
Old 11-15-2008, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Myself I don't worry about wind for astand, I worry about the wind walking to my stand. If I have to walk a mile to come into a particular stand with the wind in my face I will. This has worked very well in seeing deer before im settled in. If I can't get to that stand without walking with the wind in my face I avoid that area.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:10 PM
Fork Horn

thanks guys... it just seems like every magazine i read all they do is talk about the wind direction... and i honestly don't understand when u dont know where he's coming from

ive always wondered why people on hunting channels have those discs!!!! now i know why??

sou guys wash your clothes in baking soda? I usually leave mine outside all night before hunting...
Old 11-16-2008, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

remember dont rely only on cover scents. they are helpfully incase you get a swirling wind but you should still use the wind to your favor. The fresh earth wafer disc's are a good item. last for a good while to.

my clothes stay in an airtight container that the bottom is lined with oak leaves.