Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What is the easiest and safest way to hang a hang-on fixed position tree stand? >

What is the easiest and safest way to hang a hang-on fixed position tree stand?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What is the easiest and safest way to hang a hang-on fixed position tree stand?

Old 08-10-2005, 10:20 PM

Default What is the easiest and safest way to hang a hang-on fixed position tree stand?

I have always bow hunted for whitetails in ground blinds. I know this is a disadvantage compared to tree stands but I have been pretty successful. I also am not real crazy about heights. There are several fantastic hunting spots in the area I hunt but the wind is always wrong for a ground blind in these spots, so I bought two hang-on tree stands that I want to use this year. I am interested in what technique you guys use to easily and safely get these things in a tree. One set of directions I have suggests using some type of pulley system to pull the stand up and hold it in place while you attach it to the tree. The idea sounds good but how do you do it? As I mentioned before I'm not big on heights, so do you think 12-15 feet is high enough considering I am fanatical about scent control and play the thermals properly? Any input will be much appreciated.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What is the easiest and safest way to hang a hang-on fixed position tree stand?

I use a lone wolf hang on stand. I strap onto the tree with a clibing belt loop on my safety harness. Pull out and attach the tree strap for the stand - it has a metal hook on it. Then hang the stand and unfold the platform and step on (strap into the tree first.) I use strap on steps to climb the tree. Works great for me
Old 08-11-2005, 05:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: What is the easiest and safest way to hang a hang-on fixed position tree stand?

I would typically suggest using a climbing stick and a lineman's belt attached to a full body harness. I can't think of a safer way to attach a hang-on stand.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:54 AM

Also.. depending on the type of hang on I like to use a rope ratchet at the back of the platform and around the tree to the other side of the platform and pull it tight.. Just added security.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:00 AM

My father is not a big fan of heights and stands either. I highly suggest a climbing stick or ladder setup as they allow for more secure climbing and hanging. If by yourself, climb to the top of your climbing stick, about 16' at the top rung and a few feet above that tie a strap around the tree with a carabiner attached to it (it should be on a side other than the one the climbing stick goes up). Run a rope through the carabiner and attach 1 end to the treestands seatand pull it up to the desired height and tie it off to the climbing stick. Climb up the stick/ladder and attach the treestand so with your hands on the top rung you can comfortably step on to the platform, this will put the platform at 12' to 13' feet high. If you can attach the stand to a split trunk tree so that there is the comfort of feeling the tree in front of you even better. I prefer my stands MUCH higher, but my father won't climb into them, so I set up 2 or so like this and he always feel comfortable. Put itin a pine and you also get the bonus of lots of branches to block outline and the comfort of handles (branches).
Old 08-11-2005, 08:52 AM
Spike

MA Jay,
That's a very good idea.. I've been looking for a way for the treestand to hang in place so I have both hands to work on it and fasten it down.

This may sound a bit strange, but the way I did a few last year was to climb up the tree in my climbing stand (with my safety harness attached) and when I got to the right height, pulled the hang-on stand up by a rope and attached it while standing on my climber. It gave me some security with the safety belt and I had a solid platform to stand on. Granted, this can't be done on all trees, but worked for this one
Old 08-11-2005, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

On land with easy access, I actually use an aluminum ladder (half of an extension ladder). I lean it up, strap the top to the tree with a ratchet strap, and I have a very solid and safe place to stand while hanging the stand. On places where I have a long way to walk, I just use my climbing belt to hang on, while hanging the stand. It's not much harder, and still safe. I have alot of stands, and hang my stands for the season, so it's not that big of a deal doing it once a year, even with the ladder. It's lightweight alum, so it is easy to carry in/out.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:12 AM
Dominant Buck

The safest way to hang a lock-on stand is to "Tom Sawyer" your dumb cousin into doing it for you while you watch from the shade with a cold beer in your hand ...
Old 08-11-2005, 10:02 AM

I usually find a good strong branch, then I hang upside down by my legs so that my arms are free to setup the stand!

j/k of course. Its usually a pain, but i just find a way to hang on and strap the stand on at the same time.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:07 PM
Typical Buck

I like to use climbing sticks and a full body harness with a linesmans belt. I've hung them before using safety harnesses with no linemans belt and it's not fun at all. The lineman belt makes a HUGE difference! When all the sticks or steps are in place, I then drive a nail about 1.5-2 ft above where the seat will be. Once I pull the stand up, I can tie off the rope to the nail and put the stand on. I also use a ratchet strap or two (depending on the stand) to help secure it to the tree. The nail I referred to earlier can be used to hang binos or rattle antlers on too. BUT, depending on where you hunt using a nail might not be legal, like on public ground.

Quick Reply: What is the easiest and safest way to hang a hang-on fixed position tree stand?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.