Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Wind Direction?

Old 03-30-2003, 04:36 PM

Default Wind Direction?

When you spray scent out or put a couple of stations up, do you want the wind blowing tword where the deer are coming from unlike normal or does it matter where the wind is blowing?
Old 03-30-2003, 05:40 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Wind Direction?

I alway' s have the wind in my face even when I use scent' s. I watch behind me alot more.
Old 03-30-2003, 07:27 PM
Typical Buck

Upwind or quartering . . . never downwind.
Old 03-31-2003, 08:06 AM

If I am facing the direction I " think" a buck may come I personally never like to have the wind in my face. I don' t like a setup that relies on a buck moving with the wind to his back. I would much rather have a cross wind, or even better yet a wind quartering towards his direction, that still keeps my scent away from the primary trail / trails I am hunting. A much more riskier setup, but a setup much more likely IMO to achieve the results I am looking for.

Many of my deer were a 45 deg shift in wind away from busting me.
Old 03-31-2003, 07:01 PM

Yes wind direction matters. I consider wind direction when setting up stands and when approching a stand.

I like hunting with a cross wind, especially when using attractant scents. Example, deer to the north of me, and the wind from the west. Gotta get the scent to where the deer are or will cross to be effective, but be very careful when laying out a scent setup. You dont want to leave your own residule human scent and spook the deer.