Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Rage/Snyper users.....Pass Thru's? >

Rage/Snyper users.....Pass Thru's?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rage/Snyper users.....Pass Thru's?

Old 11-05-2008, 08:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Rage/Snyper users.....Pass Thru's?

ORIGINAL: Finch

I just ordered two packs of 2 blade snypers. I feel the bigger cutting diameter is an added benefit. After reading this, I'm also a little concerned. So, my arrow is going to stay in the deer until it gets broken off or falls out? If I start breaking arrows on every shot then I'll have to go back to fixed.

For those that do NOT get a passthru, does your arrow just fall out somewhere along the blood trail or does it get broken?
Both has happened. Some have fallen out unscathed and some have been broken. If you don't want your Snypers, send them to me. I'm more than happy with them.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot a decent sized doe with the three blade version. I am shooting a B.T. 82nd at 70# 28.5", 490 grain arrow.

The head went completely through her and stuck into the tree she was standing beside. She snapped it off at the ferrule and ran away with my arrow. There was a huge entrance and exit hole, the blood trail was easy to follow (double lung)but I have seen better, ironically the arrow stayed in her.

The best blood trails I ever got consistantly was with the old Rocket Hammer heads (I believe that is what they were called) they too had a two inch cut. The blades usually curled and looked something the blades on the bottom of a blender when they came out, but on small bucks and does I consistantly got passthroughs. The last deer I shot with one was a 150+ buck standing broadside. It only penetrated one lung. I didn't have any trouble following the blood trail it was huge and he only went about 80 yards but it got me to thinking about hitting bone. What if???

No doubt there is a trade off. Hit liver or guts and Iwant the largest cut possible. On the other hand hit large heavybones, and I'll take a good quality fixed blade over the large cutting mechanical. In a perfect world we get a perfect hit in the vitals via the ribs every time, no problem with either head there.

I killed a "world class" sized doe the other day when I hit her a little far forward. I got both lungs and she didn't go farther than 25 yards before going down. When I skinned her out both front legs were broke. One leg was broke at the joint and the other was basically shattered. Though it was a fixed blade (Slick Trick Mag)it was not a complete passthrough. I am not sure what would have happened had I shot her with the Rage.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: annika3

A PASSTHROUGH IS THE BROADHEAD STICKING OUT THE OTHER SIDE!
That doesn't even make sense?

That'd be like...uh....a poke....through?
Old 11-05-2008, 08:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

ORIGINAL: Finch

I just ordered two packs of 2 blade snypers. I feel the bigger cutting diameter is an added benefit. After reading this, I'm also a little concerned. So, my arrow is going to stay in the deer until it gets broken off or falls out? If I start breaking arrows on every shot then I'll have to go back to fixed.

For those that do NOT get a passthru, does your arrow just fall out somewhere along the blood trail or does it get broken?
Both has happened. Some have fallen out unscathed and some have been broken. If you don't want your Snypers, send them to me. I'm more than happy with them.
I'm going to give them a try as soon as the mail man delivers them.[:@] I'm sure I'll like them but I'll keep you in mind if I don't.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff, whats your finished arrow weight if you dont mind me asking???

a heavier arrow will carry its momentum much better than a lighter arrow...could be the thing your setup is lacking....im guessing your shooting a lighter arrow...your pumping out the speed and KE..i know that...but with a light arrow, its just loosing everything is has behind it...those rages are cutting ALOT of tissue, extra ribs are being caught that smaller heads dont etc....yes, they ARE eating up that much KE..easy. but with more momentum, you might get the performance your looking for.

Rob, not sure where your arrow ended up in the brisket...but my buddy shot one last year that sounds similar....last couple ribs back and pretty high...actually busted 2 ribs on the entrance i believe...i know it definently busted one in half...arrow blew straight out the brisket infront of the far leg...i couldnt believe i had to pull the arrow outta the dirt...he shoots a light setup, not broadhead tuned(just sighted in...which we all know uses more energy than a properly tuned bow) and light arrows....broadhead was a montec. i simply could not believe it. i seen where he shot that buck and was in disbelief when he asked if id go look for the arrow...all things considered, between the light, slower setup, and light arrows and everything the head hit, i still dont believe it lol....i was impressed...

as you see, theres 2 schools of thought on exits...some want the broadhead to actually stay in the animal and "bounce around" to inflict more damage....others want it blown into the dirt....i dont have near the expirience that most of you guys do....but an arrow blown through an animal means 2 open holes to me...which to me means more blood on the ground. i think the key is finding what your setup can do...finding that magical cutting diameter that you can use and still get that arrow to come out...every shot is different and brings different obsticals to the table....but, ribs and tissue from a broadside shot shouldnt be a ton of resistance to a hunting arrow IMO...
Old 11-05-2008, 11:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

My experience with the rage is... if you want more likelyhood of a pass thru, why not shoot the 3 blade? 5 encounters ive had with them and everyone has been a complete pass thru. not a half pass or whatever, full pass. 4 of those were out of a bear element, one from my general. i hear so many stories of issues with the 2 blade rages and the people that argue them being great or junk. where are the 3 blade users? how many bad stories have you heard with a 3 blade?

This is my opinion and everyone has different criteria to judge upon but i prefer the 3 blades b/c of this
1) 3 blades, actuall circular cut, not just a wide slice. Its subjective to which is better, but i would rather have 3.
2) 1.5" vs 2". 1.5" is still a huge hole (look on my myspace www.myspace.com/woody42420) but not to much of a k/e robber.
those are my justifications for shooting the 3blade instead of the 2.

regardless of all this talk. a kill is a kill. a clean kill is a clean kill. ive never had better recoveries though than with the rage. ill keep shooting them until i have a failure, then i guess ill be shooting g5's or slick tricks.
Derek
Old 11-06-2008, 02:37 AM
Dominant Buck

Granted the broadhead has done its part in as much tissue damage as possible but a partial passthrough does not allow me to inspect the arrow and learn more about the shot and how to go about on the recovery.

I agree it doesn't have to go 6" in the ground but a complete pass through definitely gives me more knowledge than a partial pass through.
GREAT point, Jack. Excellent (I wish I'd said that)

Finch....I haven't had one pass thru and remain at the POI, yet. They either get broken or they fall out on the trrail, somewhere.

Mauser....I'm shooting a 366gr arrow. If you want to try to explain momentum to me.....I'm all ears. But if it's the standard "heavier will maintain it's energy better" stuff.....save it. I'm like Qgik in this regard. I don't think too many people understand momentum and how it pertains to arrows. If you're the exception.....and you can teach me (and others) about it.....AND tell me the optimal arrow weight to use.....by all means I'd appreciate it.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:05 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: MN/Kyle

ORIGINAL: annika3

A PASSTHROUGH IS THE BROADHEAD STICKING OUT THE OTHER SIDE!
That doesn't even make sense?

That'd be like...uh....a poke....through?
If the bh is sticking out the other side did it passthrough the animal? YES! Then the bh passed through. I will agree it is nice to see the arrow after the shot because it does give you information but if you put a 2" hole through the animal you are doing a lot of damage.

Obvoiusly, we would like passthroughs everytime but it doesn't always happen, and that includes all bh's.

I will takea 2" hole"poking" out the opposite sideover a 1-1 1/4" hole with the arrow burried in the dirt 6" everytime. Again, think about it, other than gaining the informationon the arrow, you do NO MORE damage once theBH has made it through to the other side and with a 2" cutting diameter head you're not going to plug the hole with the arrow.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:31 AM

I've shot one with the ragess, and blood everywhere. Would have been an easy recovery, if the jerk didn't steal that hunts next door to where I hunt. But I was very happy with the bloodtrail.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

lol Jeff, im no physicist! lol....

but thats physics...i cant explain it because i dont understand it enough to put it into words that would make sense to any of us...but for an object to continue its path, it must have the momentum to do so.

i wish it was simple to add 100-200gr to your arrow...im almost certain that your results will change...you got the speed...you got the energy...IMO your lacking weight and loosing the speed and energy too quickly.

talk to Germ about arrow weight....im 99.9999% sure he likes em heavy...and hes more expirienced than myself...maybe he can explain it....

Quick Reply: Rage/Snyper users.....Pass Thru's?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.