Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 field dressing/skinning knife, I need a new one >

field dressing/skinning knife, I need a new one

Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

field dressing/skinning knife, I need a new one

Old 09-16-2006, 01:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default field dressing/skinning knife, I need a new one

I have a browning fdt folding knife that i've been using for the last 4 years, its works allright but it doesn't seem like it holds and edge very well and its a pain in the arss when you have to clean fat and dried blood out of all the nooks and crannies. I think i'm gonna try a fixed blade this time. What do you guys use?
Old 09-16-2006, 03:50 PM

Default RE: field dressing/skinning knife, I need a new one

I have been using a kershaw blade trader knife for the past 5 years or so. In my books its the best knife you can get. It has a slim blade, a wider blade with a guthook for skinning as well as a bonesaw blade. The handle pivots open and just swap the blades around. It holds an edge that will shave paper and has a lifetime warranty i believe. I typically use the wider blade most of the time, the gut hook is razor sharp and will split a hide from neck to nuts in a second. I have not yet used the bonesaw blade because i have an electric meat saw so I am unable to comment on that. If the blades become to seem loose in the handle just shim it up with a slice of masking tape and your rockin' again. Its a great setup and you will find that lots of guys on here use that knife.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have a lock blade Buck knife, and for delicate areas, I have standard small jackknife. I don't have a skinning knife (yet), but I have heard that a really cool (and veryancient) skinning knife is an Alaskan Ulu (sp?).

Old 09-17-2006, 07:37 AM

I use a Buck Zipper. I chose to get the rubber handle on it so that it wouldn't slip when wet. It holds an edge fairly well and the guthook on the backside is really handy. I've also got a Case folder that I used for a couple years before getting the Buck. The Case takes and holds a better edge, but I don't care for the clip point for deer work...it's much nicer having a drop point for skinning.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:20 PM

Don't laugh!! I use a mora knife made in Seeden. Plastic handle and plastic sheath. They come razor sharp and are easy to mantain an edge. THEY ARE ONLY10 BUCKS. you can buy 3 and keep two in your truck. They sell that at the sportsman's guide.
okcmco
Old 09-19-2006, 05:20 PM

ORIGINAL: okcmco

Don't laugh!! I use a mora knife made in Seeden. Plastic handle and plastic sheath. They come razor sharp and are easy to mantain an edge. THEY ARE ONLY10 BUCKS. you can buy 3 and keep two in your truck. They sell that at the sportsman's guide.
okcmco
I've heard them mentioned before as a good knife at a bargain price. I've only once had my hands on one, and that was quite some time ago. I seem to remember that particular knife having a scary sharp edge on it.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:54 PM

I really like my fixed-blade Buck with the gut hook. I believe the model is the zipper.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:36 PM
Fork Horn

I did some shopping around and ended up with the buck alpha alaskan guide model, it has a rosewood handle but the grip feels real sweet. It has s30v steel wich is supposed to hold and edge 45% longer than 420c. It has a gut hook and its lifetime warrented and buck will refurbish it for free whenever I want. I'm anxious to see how it works. The mini alpha was even sweeter in the hand but I don't think it would be large enough for western game.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:27 PM

Nice, that should be a good knife.

Old 09-22-2006, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Kershaw blade trader is a great set. Well I like mine anyway

Quick Reply: field dressing/skinning knife, I need a new one

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.