Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Will he be back? >

Will he be back?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Will he be back?

Old 11-02-2008, 07:31 PM

Default Will he be back?

I blew my chance at my first bow deer today and to make matters worse it would have been the second biggest deer I've ever killed. He looked to be about 2 1/2 year old 8 with two 2" droptines making him a 10. He wasn't very wide and didnt have great mass but he was very unique to say the least. I got into the standabout 4:45 and hit my can call twice and let off a series of 3 or 4 grunts about 5:20. about 5:30 or 5:40 a hear something behind me. I turn around and i see this buck coming in scent checking and looking around. He tears a tree up with his antlers and then hits the trail that will bring him right by me. He comes into the shooting lane at about 10-15 yards and i pick my bow up to draw and my freaking bow hit the safety rail on my stand. It barely even tapped it but it sent this buck running. From what i could tell he ran about 40 yards and stopped. He blew twice while runnig then stopped, blew a few more times, then ran off blowing about3 or4 more times. I was covered in scent spray and had a buck bomb out so I'm pretty sure he didnt smell me. My question is will he be back or is he in the next county right now? And, if he will be back how long should i wait to go back and hunt this stand?
Old 11-02-2008, 07:42 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Will he be back?

With something like that, if he didn't see you, he should be back in a certain period of time. Normally a buck will return, but sometimes it will take time.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:44 PM
Fork Horn

I would doubt you would get another shot at that deer in this stand this season. I'm sure he didnt see or smell you but heard you and know sumptin isnt quite right with that spot, and he wont forget anytime soon, I doubt he left the country though, you may get another shot at him at a different stand location
Old 11-02-2008, 07:56 PM

ORIGINAL: 2droptine

I would doubt you would get another shot at that deer in this stand this season. I'm sure he didnt see or smell you but heard you and know sumptin isnt quite right with that spot, and he wont forget anytime soon, I doubt he left the country though, you may get another shot at him at a different stand location
I wish it was that simple.This is really the only place i can sit. To the right is swamp straight ahead is houses behind me is thick and nasty and to the left is my old stand location that he was never sen at not even on trail camera. The trail I was hunting travels from the thick stuff/swamp (bedding maybe?) to a feild full of acorns and pecan trees and a few scrapes thats between me and the house. there is no hunting pressure besides from me and i only give it a little.