Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

scent control

Old 10-31-2008, 07:40 PM

Default scent control

what does a successful hunters do to control thier scent, and the use of cover scents? i am a fisherman trying to be a hunter and i know most fishing tackel catches fisherman not fish. thanks for your time
Old 10-31-2008, 08:54 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: scent control

EVERYTHING MUST BE AS SCENT FREE AS POSSIBLE AND I MEAN EVERYTHING!

First thing to do is purchase some scent free detergent from your local outfitter store. Wash your pants, shirt, coat, gloves, hat, socks, underwear, base layers, release, gear bag, face mask basically anything that is machine washable that will be going on the hunt with you. Also don't forget to wash a bath towel for after you take a scent free shower. Once everything is washed be sure to repeat the rinse cycle again. I like to air dry all my gear to ensure that i get no snuggly soft fragrances from the dryer on them. Once all the gear is dry i usually will wear rubber gloves while placing it into an airtight container to be stored. Right before the hunt you need to take a scent free shower with scent free shampoo, soap and deodorant. Be sure to dry off with a towel that is also scent free. I also usually will have some scent free street clothes set aside to wear on the way to the hunt. Once i get out of my truck, i strip down to my skiddies and suit up with all my gear. I follow that with a spray down from head to toe with a scent killing spray. Also, it helps to brush your teeth with baking soda before you leave the house or before you enter into the woods. Some other helpful tips are to avoid fueling up your vehicle on the way to the woods, stay away from coffee, cigarretts, exhaust fumes any other foreign odors.

I practice this every year and i still get winded from time to time. You cannot become invisible to a whitetails nose but you can appear to be the faint remnants of a human being who passed through days ago. Most importantly play the wind!

I know that there are other things that i left out but i'm sure some others will tune in with there tips.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:05 PM

Hunt the wind if it's not perfect for your stand, don't go! You can be as scent free as you can be but your still human, and unless your not human you are going to have some smell no matter what you do.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Complete scent elimination is impossible, however, you can get very, very close if you take the right precautions. Here is an excerpt from our hunting blog we did a couple of weeks ago on how we (my brother and I) prepare for our hunts with respect to scent control.

Enough of the rambling, Damin and I wanted to talk to you guys about scent-control a bit. We are both HUGE advocates in scent-elimination. While it is impossible to eliminate all human scent, we believe that we take the necessary steps to fool the best nose in the woods- that of the whitetail. It’s been debated that a deer’s sense of smell is 100 to 1000 to 10000 times better than a human’s, regardless of the number, these guys can pin point human odor in a heartbeat and ruin not only your hunt, but those around you. However, several precautionary steps can be taken to reduce the possibility of this happening.

First of all, we wash our clothes with scent eliminating laundry detergent, hang them out on the line to dry with natural air, then place them in the dryer with earth scent dryer sheets. Then they go in to a Scent-Lok bag or tote for scent-free storage until use. We usually repeat this process several times during the season.

Next comes the preparation of the hunt. After we get out of bed (we wash our sheets with scent eliminator too!), we will wipe ourselves down with scent-eliminating field wipes. Then we’ll spray our hands with Hunter’s Specialties eliminator/ earth scent before we get dressed. Next comes the carbon-activated Scent-Lok BaseSlayers, which is our first and best line of defense. Then, as we begin to layer up we spray more earth scent on after each layer is applied. This ensures that each garment is scent free.

Once we are fully dressed, we liberally spray more HS eliminator/earth scent to cover up kill any remaining odors. We do this to our packs, hats and camera bags as well. We then spray down our boots, top and bottom so we don’t leave a stinky trail to stand. Finally, we attach a HS scent-wick (earth of acorn, depending on our setup) to the top of our hat to top off our scent-eliminating process (pun intended).

As you can see a lot of work goes into beating Mr. Big’s sniffer, but it only makes it more rewarding when you do! Of course, as stated before it is impossible to eliminate all human scent as bacteria on your skin is constantly feeding on dead skin cell, thus resulting in human odor. But if done right, and hunting the wind correctly, you can greatly increase your chances of taking that big buck!

http://morethanapursuit.blogspot.com/