HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - scent control
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2008, 08:54 PM
dstubb
Typical Buck

Default RE: scent control

EVERYTHING MUST BE AS SCENT FREE AS POSSIBLE AND I MEAN EVERYTHING!

First thing to do is purchase some scent free detergent from your local outfitter store. Wash your pants, shirt, coat, gloves, hat, socks, underwear, base layers, release, gear bag, face mask basically anything that is machine washable that will be going on the hunt with you. Also don't forget to wash a bath towel for after you take a scent free shower. Once everything is washed be sure to repeat the rinse cycle again. I like to air dry all my gear to ensure that i get no snuggly soft fragrances from the dryer on them. Once all the gear is dry i usually will wear rubber gloves while placing it into an airtight container to be stored. Right before the hunt you need to take a scent free shower with scent free shampoo, soap and deodorant. Be sure to dry off with a towel that is also scent free. I also usually will have some scent free street clothes set aside to wear on the way to the hunt. Once i get out of my truck, i strip down to my skiddies and suit up with all my gear. I follow that with a spray down from head to toe with a scent killing spray. Also, it helps to brush your teeth with baking soda before you leave the house or before you enter into the woods. Some other helpful tips are to avoid fueling up your vehicle on the way to the woods, stay away from coffee, cigarretts, exhaust fumes any other foreign odors.

I practice this every year and i still get winded from time to time. You cannot become invisible to a whitetails nose but you can appear to be the faint remnants of a human being who passed through days ago. Most importantly play the wind!

I know that there are other things that i left out but i'm sure some others will tune in with there tips.