Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 church and hunting >

church and hunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

church and hunting

Old 11-04-2008, 09:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: church and hunting

P.S. I subscribe to the theory that one of my high school teachers - a priest at a catholic school - taught me. God doesn't care if you're in church every Sunday morning blindly reciting word from a book. He cares about how you live your life and how you treat and help others. Do those things correctly and there will be a place in heaven for you. Even if you don't believe in God. Then he told me to pretty much never tie his name to those comments or he'd lose his job.
That was good, specially the last part. A very good post minnesota.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:53 AM

I'm not going to argue to finer points of religion b/c I've got enough skeletons in my own closet. BUT, giving up something we LOVE to do in order to worship God is important. It shows that HE is most important in our life, not our hobbies.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:56 AM
Dominant Buck

Tony....

1/5 of the world's population is in China. Another large segment resides in Muslim nations.

Like I said....I went to Wingate College....where I was forced (not kicking and screaming, mind you) to take a religion class every semester. Those stats are from...ummm (shhh....over 20 yrs ago). If they're not valid, now....I apologize. They were also given to me in a Southern Babtist school....where they wouldn't get caught dead boinking standing up.....for fear someone might mistaken it for dancing. So....I tended to believe them.

Even if they are "off".....the gist of my meaning is clear. MANY will never even hear of Christianity.....and listening to some....they are doomed. God created them in his image for that?
Old 11-04-2008, 10:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

According to allot of you I guess I'm one bad ass that doesn't believe In god because I choose not to go to church all that often! I've heard It all. My pastor where I was confirmed and baptized at told me this after I was confirmed.

"Steve, I don't expect to see you around much here In church on Sundays. Just remember you don't have to be In church all the time to still keep a relationship with god. You can still have a great relationship with god just because your not In church, don't ever forget that he said"!

About 4 months ago I had my daughter baptized at the same church I got baptized at. The 1st thing he said to me was, hey there Steve! Long time no see! How you been? I said I've been great, getting ready for bear hunting In September. I then said to him, I hope your not upset that you don't see me around to often. He then said "Steve, we both worship the same god, your house of worship Is In a woods hunting, mine Is In a church. As long as you keep believing and give thanks all Is fine". I then told him as my little girl gets older and starts attending Sunday School you will see me around more watching my little girl In programs and such.
That my friend is a great post.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: wahoohunter

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

According to allot of you I guess I'm one bad ass that doesn't believe In god because I choose not to go to church all that often! I've heard It all. My pastor where I was confirmed and baptized at told me this after I was confirmed.

"Steve, I don't expect to see you around much here In church on Sundays. Just remember you don't have to be In church all the time to still keep a relationship with god. You can still have a great relationship with god just because your not In church, don't ever forget that he said"!

About 4 months ago I had my daughter baptized at the same church I got baptized at. The 1st thing he said to me was, hey there Steve! Long time no see! How you been? I said I've been great, getting ready for bear hunting In September. I then said to him, I hope your not upset that you don't see me around to often. He then said "Steve, we both worship the same god, your house of worship Is In a woods hunting, mine Is In a church. As long as you keep believing and give thanks all Is fine". I then told him as my little girl gets older and starts attending Sunday School you will see me around more watching my little girl In programs and such.
Good post, its too bad more people and preacher's alike don't have this attitude
Schultzy ..... if God says in His Word that you should NOT forsake Church, and says in another place to someone, "Why call me Lord and you don't do what I say?" ....... what say ye?

Schultzy, you are one of my favorite guys on here ... your passion for hunting and life is awesome ...... how much do you give to the Lord? I don't know, but you and Him do .......
Old 11-04-2008, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I still go the majority of the time but I do miss a few Sundays during the 5 month long season.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Separation of church and hunting.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:09 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks and agreed - good post Schultzy. I like our pastor and he is a really good guy. But sometimes he doesn't have a lot of tact, like in the monthly newsletter, when in his letter to the congregation, he calls out people who bring their kids to Sunday School but don't attend church with them before or afterward, whenever it occurrs that Sunday. He calls them out in front of the whole congregation - not my name mind you - but by chastizing that particular subgroup. That my friend, makes me want to go to church less, not more. And I pretty much lost all respect for the guy for a couple of months until I simmered down.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: minnesotadeer

P.S. I subscribe to the theory that one of my high school teachers - a priest at a catholic school - taught me. God doesn't care if you're in church every Sunday morning blindly reciting word from a book. He cares about how you live your life and how you treat and help others. Do those things correctly and there will be a place in heaven for you. Even if you don't believe in God. Then he told me to pretty much never tie his name to those comments or he'd lose his job.
that Subscription is invalid and will send you strait to Hell...salvation is about what CHrist did on the Cross of Calvary ....becoming our sin and paying the penalty, rising 3 days later victorious over death, hell and the grave....... you choose to believe man, i'll take God ...
Old 11-04-2008, 10:17 AM
Fork Horn

I also know that Christ never SPECIFICALLY mentioned a Hell, just heaven. Hell is a concept created by man and various religious leaders according to numerous scholarly works that will no doubt be debated byreligious authorities.The God I believe in will not send a person who lives a good life, treats others well, but does not believe in him to eternal suffering. Perhaps they will not be saved, but they will not suffer either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.