Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 church and hunting >

church and hunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

church and hunting

Old 11-04-2008, 10:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: church and hunting

Growing up a Catholic, has actually seperated me from God. I've been going to a Catholic school since Kindergarten, and went to church 2 times a week at school, and every Sunday. I did that from Kindergarten, to 8th grade. As I grew older, and actually started thinking about things, I realized how crooked the Catholic church really is. In my experiences (been to quite a few churches around the area) most of them try to bring you back ONLY for your money. Nothing else. The last couple of years, since I started watching the news just about every night, I've seen just about all of the public scandals in the Catholic church. Just about every night it's something new. Yet I don't think I've EVER seen a scandal on the news from someone besides Catholics. I'm not saying they don't happen, but they seem much more common among Catholics.
I haven't been to church in about 2 years (excluding Christmas and Easter). And I can honestly say that I feel much closer to God now, than I did then. I pray much more, and actually think about it and mean it.

Also, who are we to judge one another?

Just my 2 cents.

Sorry I can't really go into detail in this post right now, I'm in class[:'(]
Old 11-04-2008, 10:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: minnesotadeer

I also know that Christ never SPECIFICALLY mentioned a Hell, just heaven. Hell is a concept created by man and various religious leaders according to numerous scholarly works that will no doubt be debated byreligious authorities.The God I believe in will not send a person who lives a good life, treats others well, but does not believe in him to eternal suffering. Perhaps they will not be saved, but they will not suffer either.
you show your ignorance .....

Jesus mentions Hell WAYYYYYYYYY more than Heaven

Mat 5:22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.
Mat 5:29 And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell. 30 And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.
Mat 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
Mat 11:23 And thou, Capernaum, which art exalted unto heaven, shalt be brought down to hell: for if the mighty works, which have been done in thee, had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day.
Mat 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
Mat 18:9 And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire.
Mat 23:15 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves.
Mat 23:33 Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?
Luk 10:15 And thou, Capernaum, which art exalted to heaven, shalt be thrust down to hell.
Luk 12:5 But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him.
Luk 16:23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm with PT all the way on this one.
There is ONLY ONE WAY...through Christ (and ASKING HIM - not just knowing about HIM). And yes, unfortunately there will be alot of folks that won't make it to heaven - be it they didn't ever ask Christ to be their saviour, or they were never told about him at all. That's why he commands us to spread the Gospel.

I think what gets lost alot is its not "religion" - its relationship. Just because you go to church DOESN'T mean you are headed to heaven. If you never asked HIM....you ain't going. You've got about as much chance of turning into a car by standing in a garage.

The bible says it all - either you believe it 100%, or you don't. We don't get to pick and choose what we want to believe - so it makes us feel good and justify what we do (to ourselves & others). The grocery store method doesn't work.

Now...does that mean that true believers are perfect? Ain't NO WAY....not even close. I screw up daily, as I'm sure most of you do too. Do I go to church EVERY Sunday....no. Most Sundays I do, and it is a high priority for me and my family. Do I follow everything in the bible to a T? I wish I could say I do. I try to do my best to adhere to HIS WORD....but alas, I am a human still - which means I can't.

Seek ye first the kindom ofheaven....I hope each of you do. In theBIG picture, that is ALL that really matters.

-Mike

Old 11-04-2008, 10:39 AM

Someone please help me if I'm misunderstanding...if someone never knows of god because they were never told of him, they are not going to heaven? How is this their fault? Shouldn't it be part of god's plan for them to know him? Please don't criticize me, I'm just trying to understand.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:43 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: minnesotadeer

I also know that Christ never SPECIFICALLY mentioned a Hell, just heaven. Hell is a concept created by man and various religious leaders according to numerous scholarly works that will no doubt be debated byreligious authorities.The God I believe in will not send a person who lives a good life, treats others well, but does not believe in him to eternal suffering. Perhaps they will not be saved, but they will not suffer either.
That's waaay off. Luke 16 tells the story of Lazarus being thrown into hell and begging for a drop of water. That's suffering my friend. Lot of preachers are reluctant to preach "hell, fire and brimstone" sermons these days for fear of running off the congretation but it's in the gospel and people need to be prepared.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:45 AM

I used to go to church every Sunday when I was little. Never missed one for four years straight! (Got an award for it) Also, I used to "preach" on Sunday nights. My grandmother got me started in church and I loved it but I quit going when I started working for my uncle at age twelve.

I'm not going to lie or make excuses. I just don't want to go to church right now. AND, I'm surely not going back to the one I used to attend. The "preacher" is a freaking joke. How can a registered sex offender continue to preach??? LOL, it's a joke and I used to look up to that guy.

I believe and talk to God, just not in church. Here's where I get confused and have questions. Are we supposed to believe everything that is written in the Bible? For example, what if I told you I saw someone turn into a pillar of salt? You'd call me crazy. But, it happened according to the Bible. Someone told me that I was brought up to believe everything that is written in the Bible and that is why I have some of the questions I do.

Just to reiterate, I believe but I also have questions.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:47 AM

I hunt on Sundays and I play in the church praise band.(my dads the leader) Its about living it everyday not just on Sunday. I also feel very close to God when Im in a stand.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:49 AM
Spike

Man, talk about opening up a can o worms. Very good reading though!
My opinion on some of the points brought out:
The church & the hypocrite argument, yes there are hypocrites in every congregation, as Christians we are to try & be "Christ like", but we are human, thus we always fall short.
As far as missing a service, After my salvation I had a strong desire (the Holy Spirit) to be around fellow beleivers. Yes, if you are comfortable not being there for every service, then it's OK. The Bible does say to not forsake the assembly. To me that means got to church, worship & fellowship with other Christians, for their support & give support to them.
To the question about 3/4 of the people never hearing about God going to Hell....I beleive they will be treated as a child not at the age of accountability...That being said,it is OUR job as Christians..Go & tell of the good news! If you truly have received the gift of Grace, then you will want to share it!
minnisotadeer- your post makes my heart hurt. If your Pastor/Minister told you that you could go to heaven "Even if you don't beleive in God". It hurts for you and him and the congregation that he leads. Jesus Christ is the ONLY way to heaven, accept this FREE gift of salvation & you WILL go there some day....Don't & you will lift your eyes in HELL!
That's my 2 cents! Thanks & God Bless
Old 11-04-2008, 10:50 AM
Typical Buck

I heard a wise man say onetime "If a hypocrite is the only thing between you and God, then that still puts the hypocrite closer to God than you."

Having said that, while active in my church 8 months out of the year, I don't attend church much during my 4 month hunting season by CHOICE, so I guess I am a hypocrite.

I don't try and justify or rationalize, or try to deflect the issue by pointing out what someone else is doing that might be even MORE wrong. I acknowledge that a better balancecould be achieved with alittle efforton my part, but I CHOOSE to dootherwise, right or wrong.

Like many of you, I feel a closeness to God when alone surrounded in the beauty of the outdoors.

Ohhh. wait a minute....that sounds like rationalizing and I said I didn't do that.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Finch

I used to go to church every Sunday when I was little. Never missed one for four years straight! (Got an award for it) Also, I used to "preach" on Sunday nights. My grandmother got me started in church and I loved it but I quit going when I started working for my uncle at age twelve.

I'm not going to lie or make excuses. I just don't want to go to church right now. AND, I'm surely not going back to the one I used to attend. The "preacher" is a freaking joke. How can a registered sex offender continue to preach??? LOL, it's a joke and I used to look up to that guy.

I believe and talk to God, just not in church. Here's where I get confused and have questions. Are we supposed to believe everything that is written in the Bible? For example, what if I told you I saw someone turn into a pillar of salt? You'd call me crazy. But, it happened according to the Bible. Someone told me that I was brought up to believe everything that is written in the Bible and that is why I have some of the questions I do.

Just to reiterate, I believe but I also have questions.
Donnie, I hate that you went through what you did with that fake preacher [:@]He IS a joke ..... I would bet he is just the enemy's worker disguised as an angel of light ... the Bible talks about that quite abit ..... there are some things that are by faith alone ... you have never met God ....does that mean He doesn't exist? Like we talked about before .... ask God when you are alone .....ask Him to open your eyes to Him and His Word ..... you will be shocked what happens

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.