Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 10-29-2008, 03:51 PM
Site Bouncer

Default RE: Shot one tonight.....

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

I can respect that Big. Really, the conditions were not as bad at the time of the shot as you would think, aside from the fact that I was soaking wet and freezing.

Yes, I did accidently trip my release- rookie mistake, maybe. Either way, I kept it together enough to get off another shot.

I watched the arrow hit and I was happy with where I hit that deer. I will never take a shot in haste. Ihad to waitmore than a few minutes to get that follow up shot, but when I look back- I did well. I was not nervous, at all. I was shivvering a bit, but I got a good, steady, clean shot off...We'll see what tomorrow brings.
This is a quote I can live with.

Threads like this is how we learn. And not to sound all high and mighty I've hit deer in bad spots before and thought them good hits as well. It was early in my hunting years and I spent a few days to find a deer that I realized I kept pushing her and pushing her because I took up the trail too soon. The deer was eaten up by coyotes and completely useless to me. I learned from that experience and moved on. I only wish I'd had the internet and a site like this to learn from back then.

P.S. I even put a complete miss on a doe one year.....to this day I have noidea where that arrow went....never found it.

I hope you find your deer.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:01 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-29-2008, 04:06 PM

Sorry to hear about your buck man!

I know it's easy for an outsider looking in to judge things differently. So, that's why I'm not going to say anything. People make bad decisions in the heat of the moment. I know I have. Good luck!
Old 10-29-2008, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

I think you just have to be smart about hunting in the rain. Keep your shots close and be willing to follow the blood trail immediately.(unless you know you made a bad hit)

...and don't be a sissy about the cold. Sheesh.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

DT, maybe if you wouldn't have come on with all the chest pounding that you smoked him this might not be so hard. In my recovery thread I mentioned to NEVER trust what you THINK you saw, perhaps now your learning that the hard way.

Also, tracking dogs are legal in NJ, you haven't even considered them so your last ditch effort hasn't happened yet but you should have considered them earlier than now. That call should have been made last night.
It's not hard at all.

Like I said- I'm limited in who I can bring onto this piece of property..Sucks, but it is what it is.

Why is this DT? If you can't say, that's ok, I am just naturally curious.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:29 PM
Fork Horn

ok have you ever noticed how soft the ground gets after a rain? and he dt said it had snowed as well. maybe u missed the deer maybe you didnt. but think about this. you had already spooked the deer right? maybe tis buck jumped the string (hence you thinking he hunched up, when he simply dropped down) and your arrow came close enough, or maybe even grazed him to make him jump( hence mule kick). that would explain a complete lack of sign. if you had hit the deer there would at least be hair on the ground. and could explain your lost arrow as in soft wet ground arrows can really bury deep.

anyways thats just my take on it
Old 10-29-2008, 07:40 PM
Typical Buck

Did you find it?
Old 10-29-2008, 08:21 PM
Typical Buck

X3.
Keep hunting in the rain, keep taking those follow up shots if the opportunity and your confidence lets you, keep shooting animals, keep tracking them, and keep on occasionally losing them. It's hunting not killing, dont let all the "experts" tell you different. 12 pages of "I wouldn't do it like that". Sheesh.
ORIGINAL: 2 Lunger

ORIGINAL: IL_BOW_MAN

No offense fella's...but this is the exact reason I don't venture into the bowhunting forum much anymore.

DT...I hope you can find your deer...and don't let these guys get you down. Everybody does everything different!! Give it your best, that is all we can ask for.
My thoughts exactly. Very few of you that I would piss on if you were on fire. If you don't like that you can go, " pound sand", as one on here puts it all the time.

Good luck DT! I'm sure the rest of these premier bowhunters have never wounded a deer! I always wondered why gun hunters called us bowhunters arrogant. I'm starting to learn why.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:36 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: 2 Lunger

ORIGINAL: IL_BOW_MAN

No offense fella's...but this is the exact reason I don't venture into the bowhunting forum much anymore.

DT...I hope you can find your deer...and don't let these guys get you down. Everybody does everything different!! Give it your best, that is all we can ask for.
My thoughts exactly. Very few of you that I would piss on if you were on fire. If you don't like that you can go, " pound sand", as one on here puts it all the time.

Good luck DT! I'm sure the rest of these premier bowhunters have never wounded a deer! I always wondered why gun hunters called us bowhunters arrogant. I'm starting to learn why.
LMAO That's hilarious. Good luck finding your deer! Hope you find him, and if not just practice, get your confidence back, climb back up and try again.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Anything?

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.