Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Drury Outdoors

Old 10-28-2008, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Drury Outdoors

About your first point, yes my buddy (as all cameramen) should have made sure that their contract covered ANY footage used. This happened back in 2003 and my understanding is that Drury contracts have changed since then to include payments for other footage other than kill footage. However, when Drury used his footage, he asked why he was not being paid for it. He was told the contract stated only a pay scale for kill footage. I still think this was pretty dirty, even if it was not in the contract. The fact is, they made money off of footage he shot and he was not paid. It was his time off work, his time in the stand, his own camera and nothing to show for it except money in their pocket. My buddy has always said that when you go into business with Drury, only Drury will come out ahead.

About your second point, I am not talking about my cousins, girlfriend's daddy. I am talking about a buddy of mine that owns land next to their Adair County Missouri Farm. I am not talking about 3 miles down the road; I am talking about them sharing property lines. This is a farm I have hunted several times and seen what my buddy has been complaining about for several years first hand.

Also, I do not discredit them; I am giving them credit for everything they deserve. I agree they have done an outstanding job building their company, an empire really. They are with out a doubt very knowledgeable hunters and do a great job of managing their land. The videos and T.V shows they produce are quality shows and are very entertaining. However, their business is no different that any other business. To get to the top, you have to step on a few small people along the way.[/b]
Old 10-28-2008, 02:38 PM
Fork Horn

Brother Terry, come a runnin, lookey what I shot in Pike County, Illinois in Mid-October this year, a big wide ol 8 point!" "Why Brother Mark, that's a nice buck, I've alreadymissed 6 bucks this year and it's not even November yet, this is going to be aDream Season for sure, my goal, 25 misses this year!"

Old 10-28-2008, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

kickin buck---I can see where someone on top like that has a reputation like that in local areas. Now I'm not saying your claims are true or false, just saying it's believable. They are GREAT at what they do---no denying that. They have made more money doing what they love to do than I will ever doing some crappy job.

My reason why I can say that it is a believable accusation is that our family just got out of an intense legal battle with 2 prominent Illinois hunting figures. I'm not going to mention any names because the bridge has been crossed, the farm is still ours, and it's over. One has a hunting show and I have seen the other on advertisements. While on T.V. they portray a very respectful and ethical hunter and human, but from our dealings with them they are anything but.

Once again I do not feel this is the correct place for me to publically attack these 2 men, just pointing out that not all claims on celebrity figures are going to be some cooked up jealousy story.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:47 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: The Deer Destroyer

ORIGINAL: outdoorsmen

Droptine, i see your point and agree with you.

i like terry and mark, the other jokers i don't care foras much. i have more respect for mark and terry then the rest of the crew. I'd love to have terry and mark as a mentor, their experience and abilites far outway the other crew members.
besides from what i understand any joe blow and send in footage. the pay back was a mere $1000 for a good big buck kill and only a couple hundred dollars for a doe. now i got that from one of the team members about 9 years ago when i called him trying to get involved. so realisticly how many "big bucks" does the average joe blow kill a year? In my home state of illinois it's a max of 2. so i'd need to hunt out of state for more oportunities. then you have your taxidermy bill to deal with. and it would take about 3-4 years just to pay off the high-def video camera you bought to film the hunt.
so i guess my point is, is getting on tv really that important to you? if you're looking for recognition for being a "big buck killer" or "master hunter caused you made it in a video killing a big deer" wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to just send in you picture of your once in a lifetime 170" buck to your local newpaper?

all videos now have high standards of buck size. i would bet that 99% of us will never see the size of deer in our lifetime that the drury boys kill. hell they pass on deer that are bigger then most of us ever see. why???cause of location, location, location. if we had enough money to buy a huge piece of land in a prime county and have the equipment to farm and food plot and manage the herd we could have big deer on video too.
The reason they seem to always shoot big bucks is because they let younger deer go. They have a great management plan, and it pays off for them. When you pass on the younger bucks, they will get bigger. I'm sick and tired of people saying they never see big bucks. I ask them do you shoot 1 1/2 olds? They say yes, and I tell them that's the reason. My dad and I started passing on the younger bucks, and now, the bucks we have on our property are getting bigger. We know ofover 10 bucks that are shooters, and there's probably more. Including a HUGE typical buck that has avoided us since 2003. We've had one shot at him, and got him on film, and the shot missed (my dad's bow was off.) Hopefully we get a crack at him. He got that big by us letting him grow and get older. He's now either 6 or 7 1/2, nd he is still a monster.
1st i sure as heck hope you're not trying to lecture me!
2nd "when you pass on younger bucks they will grow bigger"...well no s**t! what a profound statement! why didn't i think of that?
3rd. the average age of a whitetail buck is only 1.5yrs old. it's a fact. so unless you own a hugepiece of ground that the deer will actually stay on, yourgoing to be dealing with migration and emigration, esp during the rut.
4th i hope your in claiming/stating/suggesting/insinuating that i shoot small deer and that's why i don't see big ones. did you net read my statment earlier that yo quoated, "location, location, location." do you think mr. joe public land hunter has high odds of seeing a P&Y deer??? no of course not. i happens but not as mcuh as on micromanaged lands. I'm a private land owner as well, it doesn't mean anything. I don't shoot a buck unless i think that it's big enough to spend $500 on a wall mount. plain and simple. if i shoot a buck it gets mounted so it better be big. so why don't i see big deer on the regular...ask the land owners/farmers that gun hunt around me. you can't find the needle in the haystack if you looking in the wrong haystack.
5th. when a deer gets to be 6 or 7 yrs old he's not considered to "still" be a monster. at that age is when they hit their peak. he has yet to decline in size so he is a monster. now when he gets to be 8 or 9 cause he out smarts you, then you can refer to him as still being a monster.
7th. "i'm sick and tired of how people can shoot at a deer and miss...so i ask them it they check their equipment and they say no..."
Old 10-28-2008, 06:01 PM
Fork Horn

FYI Dream Season is on The Outdoor CH right now. 153 on Dish Net LOL
Old 10-29-2008, 04:44 PM
Typical Buck

Outdoorsmen: We have a pretty good sized place to hunt on. We have plenty of smaller and bigger bucks, and we sure in heck have lots of does. I wasn't trying to lecture you, but when you said 99% of us won't see any big bucks that Mark and Terry do, then you are full of s**t. There are many deer hunters that see plenty of big bucks. Now getting those bucks is another story. If you just get a 150 class buck, then you shot a dandy. I'd love to take a 150 and up someday, and maybe I will get there. All I was saying if you pass on the small bucks, they will get bigger. In my 8th year of hunting, and I already pass small bucks. Lots of you guys have been hunting for like 20+ years and still shoot that little 6 or 8 point that walks past you. Then, you complain about not seeing big bucks and you guys complain about hunting teams like the Drury brothers about how they are always getting them. FYI, they have went without shooting a buck before. Do they take a small buck to say they got their buck. NO. Are you one of those guys that's going to shoot that little 6 point that walks in front of you?
Old 10-29-2008, 04:59 PM
Bartender

I really enjoy Mark and Terry and they said something that has always stuck with me and kind of turned things around for me.
Good things happen to good people and I follow this to a T.

T
Old 10-29-2008, 07:23 PM
Typical Buck

They always give you good advice. They always give good tips that you should follow. They have worked for me, and made me a better hunter. I can't wait to meet them.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:08 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: StrikeTrue

Im a big fan, i think they bring alot of the realities of hunting to the screen.
Nothing personally offensive meant by this, but I couldn't disagree more. Whether or not the Drury's are good guys or ethical in the way they hunt, I can's say. I don't know them personally and nobody can tell for sure from watching their TV show and hearing stories from a friend of a friend.

Back to my point, what I can tell you is that many of the most popular hunting shows out there right now are nowhere near reality when it comes to hunting for the average guy or gal who hunts. Most don't own land and those that do don't own thousands of acres they can afford to sit on for 3 years while the 120 class bucks grow to 180. Or pay the landowners around them not to shoot the big bucks so they can do it and get it on film. No, most hunters have a small farm that's been in the family for years or were able to take out a loan on a couple of hundred acres. And they'd give their left chestnut for a 130 class buck with Rob-esque antlers .

What gets my goat is when the guys on the hunting shows look into the camera and tell you that you're never gonna shoot a 180 class buck if you don't let the 130 walk when they're not hunting in the "real world" per se. Or when they claim you're not shooting that 180 like they are because you're not scouting or hunting hard enough like they are on their carefully managed, extremely expensive and unrealistic for the average guy spread.

I watch the Drury show and others like it because they are entertaining, not because I'm looking for lessons from them. There are bow hunting shows on the Outdoor channels that are realistic, but those are usually the ones where the guys are doing spot and stalk or blind sits at water holes on public land.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:14 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: minnesotadeer

ORIGINAL: StrikeTrue

Im a big fan, i think they bring alot of the realities of hunting to the screen.
Nothing personally offensive meant by this, but I couldn't disagree more. Whether or not the Drury's are good guys or ethical in the way they hunt, I can's say. I don't know them personally and nobody can tell for sure from watching their TV show and hearing stories from a friend of a friend.

Back to my point, what I can tell you is that many of the most popular hunting shows out there right now are nowhere near reality when it comes to hunting for the average guy or gal who hunts. Most don't own land and those that do don't own thousands of acres they can afford to sit on for 3 years while the 120 class bucks grow to 180. Or pay the landowners around them not to shoot the big bucks so they can do it and get it on film. No, most hunters have a small farm that's been in the family for years or were able to take out a loan on a couple of hundred acres. And they'd give their left chestnut for a 130 class buck with Rob-esque antlers .

What gets my goat is when the guys on the hunting shows look into the camera and tell you that you're never gonna shoot a 180 class buck if you don't let the 130 walk when they're not hunting in the "real world" per se. Or when they claim you're not shooting that 180 like they are because you're not scouting or hunting hard enough like they are on their carefully managed, extremely expensive and unrealistic for the average guy spread.

I watch the Drury show and others like it because they are entertaining, not because I'm looking for lessons from them. There are bow hunting shows on the Outdoor channels that are realistic, but those are usually the ones where the guys are doing spot and stalk or blind sits at water holes on public land.
The realities of hunting i was referring to are not entirelyabout killing deer.

Quick Reply: Drury Outdoors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.