HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Drury Outdoors
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2008, 08:08 PM
minnesotadeer
Fork Horn

Default RE: Drury Outdoors

ORIGINAL: StrikeTrue

Im a big fan, i think they bring alot of the realities of hunting to the screen.
Nothing personally offensive meant by this, but I couldn't disagree more. Whether or not the Drury's are good guys or ethical in the way they hunt, I can's say. I don't know them personally and nobody can tell for sure from watching their TV show and hearing stories from a friend of a friend.

Back to my point, what I can tell you is that many of the most popular hunting shows out there right now are nowhere near reality when it comes to hunting for the average guy or gal who hunts. Most don't own land and those that do don't own thousands of acres they can afford to sit on for 3 years while the 120 class bucks grow to 180. Or pay the landowners around them not to shoot the big bucks so they can do it and get it on film. No, most hunters have a small farm that's been in the family for years or were able to take out a loan on a couple of hundred acres. And they'd give their left chestnut for a 130 class buck with Rob-esque antlers .

What gets my goat is when the guys on the hunting shows look into the camera and tell you that you're never gonna shoot a 180 class buck if you don't let the 130 walk when they're not hunting in the "real world" per se. Or when they claim you're not shooting that 180 like they are because you're not scouting or hunting hard enough like they are on their carefully managed, extremely expensive and unrealistic for the average guy spread.

I watch the Drury show and others like it because they are entertaining, not because I'm looking for lessons from them. There are bow hunting shows on the Outdoor channels that are realistic, but those are usually the ones where the guys are doing spot and stalk or blind sits at water holes on public land.