Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Fix for a tree strap problem >

Fix for a tree strap problem

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Fix for a tree strap problem

Old 10-26-2008, 05:14 PM
Spike

Default Fix for a tree strap problem

Here's the problem, I'm in a climbing treestand in a tree that is gold. I've seen deer while in this stand every time that I've been out. It's at a trail intersection where 3 trails are crossing, not 15 yards infront of me. The only problem is that after I get up to my concealed height, the strap to my harness won't fit around the trunk of the tree. It's too small. My harness and teather strap works great, but the strap that you wrap around the tree to connect the teather strap too is too small to go around the tree. Are there any alternative routes for this? I'm only 12 feet up, but at the same time I don't like being in my stand without being connected for incase my stand slipped or if I were to fall. Could I just use a screw in tree step to connect my harness too, or a nylon ratchet strap? Has anyone else ever had this problem before?
Old 10-26-2008, 05:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Fix for a tree strap problem

The summit rope is long enough to reach around any tree you can get a climber up.

You can probably get one from Summit.....or anyone who has a couple summit stands may have an extra one. I had one...but sent it to Jfergus.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can buy those at most outdoor store's....I would not use a screw in hook, EVER...I would use the ratchett strap before I used the hook but like I said you should be able to find some longer tethers....
Old 10-26-2008, 05:54 PM
Typical Buck

yea that green rope you can get from summit will fit around any tree you can fit a climber around.......

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

The summit rope is long enough to reach around any tree you can get a climber up.

You can probably get one from Summit.....or anyone who has a couple summit stands may have an extra one. I had one...but sent it to Jfergus.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:17 PM
Typical Buck

This is what I just did....I was looking into getting the rope system that has the pursik knot but it is 40 bucks. I went into a sporting good store called Backwoods and they sold rapelling rope by the foot, which was just what i was looking for. I bought two ten foot sections of heavy rapelling rope and two smaller lenths for the pursik knot. This allowed me to make two setups for $24 bucks. It works extremely well and is exactly what they sell for 4o bucks. For my loop in the main line I used an alpine.....something knot. Ill pull up the site that I got the knot designs from nd post it up here for you. Then I took it and my harness to work and suspended my self from a ladder on our hanger wall to test out my knots.....they work great. you can buld 4 set ups for the price of one in a store. Ill try to snap a pic and put it up on here tomorrow for ya. I gotta finish an essay for an aviation history class and get my butt to bed.