Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 how many shots have you goten at 1 deer? >

how many shots have you goten at 1 deer?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how many shots have you goten at 1 deer?

Old 07-27-2003, 08:08 PM
New Sheriff

Default RE: how many shots have you goten at 1 deer?

2 for me, twice, got em both with the second shot....

5 Shot, care to reply????
Old 07-27-2003, 10:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

First year bow hunting, had a nice mulie buck at what I thought was 30 yards, settled my 30 yards pin on him and over his back(I was up he was down and didn' t know any better to adjust). He trotted off as i bumbled to knock another arrow, getting my arrow knocked and my head back i decided to give him a grunt but nothing. I grunted again and nothing, so i stood up and started walking over the rise, when I saw a rack coming towards me. Got ready and he appeared at 20 yards and this time I punched him clean through both lungs and watched him run out to the field and fall over...nice start to my bow hunting career. Sad news is never happened again, oh I have missed but never got the second chance to redeem myself.

I have blown a shot opp. (not letting loose) only to get the game back and getting one off. However that has happened with a few misses as well I have to admit...batting 50% on those opportunties[:' (].

Old 07-27-2003, 10:42 PM
Fork Horn

Shot a buck last year twice in the boiler room. First shot looked like it might be a tad to far back so when he stopped at 25 yards I let him have it again.
Old 07-27-2003, 11:03 PM

When I was a kid I missed a four piont 3 times. I didnt have a treestand, so I just hunkered down tight into the bank of a dried up creek bed which was about 15yrds on the opposite of a laurel bush from the deer trail. I had just started hunting and didnt know what to expect. No sooner than I got there I began to hear two deer coming down the mountian behind me. When they started crossing the creek, and were behind the bush, I drew back. I made out the outline of a deer, waited until I thought I might have seen a brown patch on my pin, and released. Of course that arrow missed way high. The deer took a few steps and stopped right out in the open. Well, this being only the second buck I had seen in the woods, I about fell over when I saw those gleaming antlers. This guy must have been pretty stupid, cause all he did was stand there and look at the other deer, which was a 6- piont that I couldnt see yet. So I knocked another arrow, threw up my bow and shot yet another over his back. Its funny, I can even remember closing my eyes before I released. Yet again he only went a few yards (the other deer must have been smarter, cause he stepped into view for a second, then took off). This time I was already drew back and I took a pop shot as soon as he stopped this fell way short. And that was it...Again, no deer. If had only knew then what I know now!!!! I was desperate to get my first deer, and I admit that I took some stupid shots. But now....many many deer later....I will never forget those precious first encounters that taught me what I know now.

p.s. The next season I took my first deer about 50yrds from that spot. I' ve been hunting that creek bed ever since. I now have three stands along that bottom, and it never fails to produce. So for you young hunters, never forget encounters that you have, because when you know enough to put it all together, it may just lead you to your future honey hole!!
Old 07-27-2003, 11:10 PM
Spike

I missed a doe 3 times before she spooked. I killed the same deer the next morning out of the same stand.
Old 07-27-2003, 11:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

As far as quiet bows goes-
It took me 3 shots with a .44 mag to connect on a 16" east Texas eight point a couple years ago. He was 50 yards away and when I first saw him I grabbed my Scoped redhawk and yanked the hammer back. The " cha-clink" noise got his attention. He stared my direction as he stood broadside for all 3 rounds. When I dressed him out he had hair missing from his brisket where shot #1 grazed him.

My dad was hunting around the corner and called me on my cell phone to see if I was shooting at dogs!! " What? dad? is that you? (I was a little deaf at that point) Nope no dogs,nice buck- I guess I was just a little excited "

No multiple bow shots for me. Like it was said before, as soon as I touch the release- their headed otta there.

PIGS on the other hand. When they' re in a group get ready to quick draw. Becasue the first bow shot and resulting squeel only scatters the group and they all look around trying to figure out what happened. This allows for an easy second shot on another pig. I' ve pulled this off twice. Third shots are not out of the question.
Old 07-28-2003, 02:18 PM

I can count 3 or 4 occassions where I got a second shot at a deer. Only connected on one though . One of the first deer I ever shot at was a very young doe. I shot at her 4 times within 20 yards of my stand before she trotted off. She came back
1 minute later to about 10 yards from me but I couldnt shoot. I didnt have anymore arrows.[:' (]
Old 07-28-2003, 03:19 PM

my first deer ever with a bow it was a 6 point i drew back and let one fly and it stuck in his spine and dropped him but he was still tryin to drag himself away with his front legs so i knocked another and let it fly but as soon as i did he rolled on his side and it gut shot him and again hit his spine so i climbed down and since he was still breathing i slit his throat to end it
Old 07-28-2003, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Speaking of second chance opportunities, did anyone see the July issue of ' North American Whitetail' ? check out page 94 and see a Net 186 + non-typical buck that a guy got a second chance on after hitting him dead center on the buck' s drop tine. []

Oh, that we all could be so lucky!!
Old 07-28-2003, 04:12 PM

i have emptied the quiver on a half rack 3 point. it was my first buck and i shot him at 15 yards on the first shot. i hit in the back and down he went. i was still new at the sport and he was crawling away so i climbed down and shot two shots at him trying to get them through some brush. both just knicked the neck finally i knew he was going anywhere, i just went up and double lunged him at 3 yards. all and all i shot 5 arrows at this deer but it was so that he would die quicker. i hate to see them suffer cause of my lousy shot. and all this was after i missed a hen turkey at 25 yards cause of a branch!

Quick Reply: how many shots have you goten at 1 deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.