HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - how many shots have you goten at 1 deer?
Old 07-27-2003, 11:03 PM
antlergetter

Default RE: how many shots have you goten at 1 deer?

When I was a kid I missed a four piont 3 times. I didnt have a treestand, so I just hunkered down tight into the bank of a dried up creek bed which was about 15yrds on the opposite of a laurel bush from the deer trail. I had just started hunting and didnt know what to expect. No sooner than I got there I began to hear two deer coming down the mountian behind me. When they started crossing the creek, and were behind the bush, I drew back. I made out the outline of a deer, waited until I thought I might have seen a brown patch on my pin, and released. Of course that arrow missed way high. The deer took a few steps and stopped right out in the open. Well, this being only the second buck I had seen in the woods, I about fell over when I saw those gleaming antlers. This guy must have been pretty stupid, cause all he did was stand there and look at the other deer, which was a 6- piont that I couldnt see yet. So I knocked another arrow, threw up my bow and shot yet another over his back. Its funny, I can even remember closing my eyes before I released. Yet again he only went a few yards (the other deer must have been smarter, cause he stepped into view for a second, then took off). This time I was already drew back and I took a pop shot as soon as he stopped this fell way short. And that was it...Again, no deer. If had only knew then what I know now!!!! I was desperate to get my first deer, and I admit that I took some stupid shots. But now....many many deer later....I will never forget those precious first encounters that taught me what I know now.

p.s. The next season I took my first deer about 50yrds from that spot. I' ve been hunting that creek bed ever since. I now have three stands along that bottom, and it never fails to produce. So for you young hunters, never forget encounters that you have, because when you know enough to put it all together, it may just lead you to your future honey hole!!