Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Heating Up Carbon >

Heating Up Carbon

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Heating Up Carbon

Old 03-25-2003, 07:54 PM

Default RE: Heating Up Carbon

I don' t think it' s necessary to line your fletching and blades up.But it is important that your inserts are in straight and the arrows will spin without wobbling.I allways install my own inserts.I use slow setting epoxy and screw a broadhead in and spin it like a top to check for alignment before the glus dries.

CB
Old 03-26-2003, 07:06 AM

If you need to heat an insert in carbon, just screw in a tip and apply heat to that while you hold the shaft at the very end, right next to the insert. If you get it too hot, you' ll know it.

I just use hot melt so this works for me. I don' t know about epoxy.

-Chief

Old 03-26-2003, 07:12 AM

WEll not all people use epoxy i use low heat hot melt try this and u will be ok and u will beable to turn your inserts just fine
Old 03-26-2003, 11:25 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

People always told me hot melt would not work on carbon, guess they were wrong. I have been using krazy glue from wal mart. It holds better than the epoxy and easier to use. I think I' ll swith to hot melt though, I' ve thrown arrows away with bad inserts because I couldn' t get them out.
Old 03-26-2003, 01:09 PM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

BOWFANATIC,

Been doing that for years too. It works very well.

JRW
Old 03-27-2003, 07:19 PM
Fork Horn

I don' t think is necessary to align your blades with the fletch but if you want to this is what I do. Screw a broadhead into the insert then put 2 drops of bohning powerbond on the insert. Next, stick the insert into the shaft and slowly rotatate the insert around while pushing the insert in. This spreads the bond out evenly. Wipe of the excess so you don' t get a bunch on the end of the shaft. Line your blades up with the fletch, then put your arrows on an arrow spinner and spin it while comparing the end of the broadhead to a fixed point like a line or dot on a piece of paper. Any wobble will be noticeable and since this bonding glue has a 8 hour cure time, you can adjust the insert until it spins true. If is spins straight, it will shoot straight. If you can' t get it at all, take it out, discard the insert and start the process all over again. Set the arrows somewhere with the nock down and allow them to dry. Hope this helps.