Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Heating Carbon arrows? >

Heating Carbon arrows?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Heating Carbon arrows?

Old 01-19-2004, 01:27 PM

Default Heating Carbon arrows?

Can you heat up carbon arrows at the insert to turn the insert so the broadhead is lined up with the vanes? I know you can with aluminum, but I didn't know about carbon? Thanks!
Old 01-19-2004, 01:29 PM

Default RE: Heating Carbon arrows?

I did it. Didn't seem to have any problems. Just be careful.
Old 01-19-2004, 03:34 PM

not recommended, cabon arrows are like plastic, you can melt them
Old 01-19-2004, 03:39 PM

i tried and the arrow splintered and changed colors but i did it with a blow torch LOL oops but i talked to the guy at the bow shop he said that he would definaitley not recomend it because the arrow can weaken with out you knowing and the front end of the arrow could snap off when it hits the target so they would be little or no penetration i dont know how true it is but it was enough to keep me from doing it
Old 01-19-2004, 04:12 PM

I reshaft and custom build Golf clubs for entertainment and some freinds, and heating Graphite or composite shafts of any kind is not recommended. Golf club shafts are manufactured and made of similar materials.
In golf club repair or replacement we only heat the adhesive bond that is attaching the composite to the steel/titanium.
What generally holds the tips in shafts is an adhesive bond of some short. Glue. When you heat it (only using a Heat Gun) the bond is now no longer going to hold its original properties.
If you heat the Arrow shaft tip, use a buffer. A foam covering or something to block direct heat onto the shaft.
For best results, remove the tip, and reinsert with adhesive. This way you decide on where the Broadhead is positioned.
Old 01-19-2004, 04:38 PM
Fork Horn

Not a good idea.

If you get it too hot, it toast!
Old 01-19-2004, 04:57 PM

Well...I'm a baby archer so I have what might seem like a dumb question:
Why do you want your broadhead lined up with the fletching?? Just thinking about it I can't reason that it would make any differnce in the flight of the arrow...but experience is king. Please inform me.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

007, believe me, it's a personal thing. You are right in your assumption that it doesn't make any difference whether the blades align with the fletch or not. If yuou want proof then ask someone how they line up a four blade head with the three fletches on the shaft. DUH!!!!!!!!!

Mossy fan, if you are that concerned there is a way to do it without heating things up. Just strip the vanes/feathers off, re-index your nock and put new fletch on.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:04 PM

No, I am not that concered anymore, the only reason I was, was because i heard it from someone that it is a good idea and I don't know why. So now that I know that it doesn't matter, I won't worry about it.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:13 PM

if your going to heat them up with a torch, put a feild tip in the arrow, heat the feild tip, flame and carbon - bad but the heat coming from the insert will melt the glue before it hurts the arrow

Quick Reply: Heating Carbon arrows?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.