Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Heating Up Carbon >

Heating Up Carbon

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Heating Up Carbon

Old 03-24-2003, 04:30 PM
Typical Buck

Default Heating Up Carbon

I switched from alum to carbon, on my alum I would heat up my shaft and
insert' s. I then turned my 3 blade muzzy' s until they matched my 3 fletching' s.
Can I do this with my carbon shaft and insert' s?

Old 03-24-2003, 04:39 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Heating Up Carbon

Usually not. Most people use two part epoxy to glue inserts into carbon shafts and if you put enough heat to it to melt the glue it will melt the carbon around the end of the shaft. From what I have seen on the tech forum it is uneccessary to align the fletching with the broadhead.
Old 03-24-2003, 06:32 PM

heat the insert, roll it in the glue then put it in the shaft. DO NOT apply heat directly to the shaft.
Old 03-24-2003, 09:25 PM

Like the two others said no heat for the carbon it will destroy the arrow or worse case it will make it brittle and you won' t know until it fails on an animal. I have been using regular fast setting fletch glue for my inserts the two part epoxy did not seem to do as good a job as fletch glue. Hope this helps.
Old 03-24-2003, 10:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Aligning the broadhead blades with fletching is not necessary. If you absolutely have to remove or turn the insert for other reasons you can screw in a field tip and apply heat to the field tip until it heats the glue enough to remove or turn the insert.
Old 03-25-2003, 06:26 AM
Dominant Buck

And then throw the arrow away because you got it to hot.[] I had someone hunting with me last year and staying at the house. He said he had to turn one of his heads. I said you can' t do that with carbons. He said, " I do it all the time" . He therein proceeded to melt down a carbon. It' s still in my garage.

It' s not necessary to line up broadhead vanes with your fletchings. If you feel you must do it do what Len does. When he makes up his arrows he puts a broadhead in the insert, places it in the arrow and spin tests them before gluing so he gets the truest straightness and alignment possible. He marks the shaft and broadhead, puts on the epoxy and inserts it. He twist it around 2 or 3 times to even out the glues before aligning the marks. I would think you could do the same thing for aligning broadhead blades.
Old 03-25-2003, 04:25 PM
Typical Buck

Thank,s you guy,s saved my carbon,s from being ruined.

THANK YOU
Old 03-25-2003, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

David,

What do you do if or when you get a wobbly carbon arrow due to a insert , throw it away?[] Your buddy got the heat too close to the carbon I' ve been doing it for nearly ten years , I learned the trick from my proshop owner who' s been doing it for as long as carbons have been around.
Old 03-25-2003, 06:19 PM
Dominant Buck

If I can' t get a true flight with a broadhead it becomes a practice arrow. The first thing I do when I get a dozen new arrows is put on field points and make sure they all shoot close. Then each arrow gets a broadhead. I test them all several shots at ranges out to 30 or 35 yards. The special one.... the VERY BEST fliers keep their broadheads, get new inserts and go in the quiver or arrow box for hunting. All the rest become practice arrows.
Old 03-25-2003, 07:20 PM
Fork Horn

I just order mine with the inserts loose, then install them with broadheads and a spin test, similar to the way that Dave suggested.
Charlie

Quick Reply: Heating Up Carbon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.