Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Treestand hight and hunting tactics >

Treestand hight and hunting tactics

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Treestand hight and hunting tactics

Old 10-17-2008, 10:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default Treestand hight and hunting tactics

So I have lately bought a climber treestand.

What height is recomened for a bow hunting tree stand.

I am also thinking of building a ladder stand. any tips on that.

and I have a turret ground blind that I am thinking of putting under an acorn tree between the timber and the alphalpha field where the deer travel.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Treestand hight and hunting tactics

Surrounding and terrain dictate how high for me, I want to be around leave or some sort of cover. I'vetaken deer from only 10 feet. Playing right the wind to me is the most important thing.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:27 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with Rev. You where read where a lot of guys "climb 40ft". IMO most of these guys are just measuring their man-hood. There is simply no reason to climb that high.

I also let my surroundings determine how high I am going to climb. Whats the point of climbing 40ft when you get there and look down the only thing you can see are limbs and tree tops?

I usually climb to the first few limbs to help break up my outline. This is anywhere from 12-20ft. Again, like Rev I've only been 12ft up and had deer walk up to and sniff my tree step.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Many people myself included typically let the rope they use to haul their gear up tell them. Most are 20 feet, but covers the main thing like Rev said.

Sounds like your new to climbing, best to get to know the stand and how it works first and be sure to strap yourself in right. They found a guy last year hanging dead in a tree after his stand dropped. The thought that he could add more straps to his stand never crossed his mind. Too trusting of others work.

The ladder stand depends on if it's portable, but even if it's not I'd make it to be. There are rules/guide lines for building safe comfortable ladders/stairs one of them being one step shouldn't be a quarter inch different than the last in height. It should be light weight and welded. You know how to weld that kind of material? Ya got one thing going for you, the design work is done, just get it from one's already made and approved, you should improve though. They're only going as far as they have to to sell one.

Just an FYI, there are also guidlines for the proper footware to wear on a platform Just look up rules for working on platforms/scaffolding, and NO GAMEBOYS OR CELL PHONES WHILE IN A STAND. That's a rule too. Pay attention to what your doing and feel/think with your feet as well as your head.

More than you wanted to here, but it's seldom said so I'm taking the oppotunity to do it here, no offense intended. You already have a mother and I look terrible in a dress (NO! I'm just spitballing on the dress comment)

Old 10-18-2008, 05:08 AM

Rev is on your surrounding. Some times I'm high and some times not so high.If it"sflat ground I"m about 20 to 25 feet high. I have a bowhunting buddy who loves to get reallyhigh and I can't say he is wrong because he gets 150 to 170 inchP&Y bucks year after year for the last 30 years. He just shot a 150+ buck just the other day, I hunt most of the time with one ofmy climbers because I can take most of my scent out with me when I leave and also move around to get ona bucks movementsand also when I find a good run are scrapI look around for trees to hunt fromto play the wind on different days I hunt it.