Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting tactics question???

Old 03-24-2006, 08:25 PM

Default Hunting tactics question???

I am wondering what you all think about these two tactics and which would work better. Tactic 1- laying out grub and calling them in. Tactic 2- hiking around untill you find the deer then stocking them. Has anyone had any good luck with either of these two.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hunting tactics question???

Some arses here will call you a criminal and/or cheater for laying out grub, even if its legal where you hunt! Laying "grub is not magic! You've still got to scout out their areas and routes! Unless they are practically starving, feed is NOT a magnet, they won't go far out of their way to get it.
Stalking is a good way to hunt too! Stalking also takes some scouting before-hand too, or you will spend most of your hunt hoping to come across deer! Scout for feeding areas, rubs, scrapes, travel coridors, and bedding areas, then you'll be close! No matter what tactic you use!
Old 03-24-2006, 09:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

i jus sit and wait
Old 03-24-2006, 10:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

tactic 3- study the habits of deer in your area, put up a blind/ stand, and wait
Old 03-25-2006, 01:31 AM
Typical Buck

Know where they are going before they do and meet 'em there.
Old 03-25-2006, 02:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

I just wait
just inside the woods from the deer crossing signs on the road
Old 03-25-2006, 04:56 AM

Sit in a tree stand or a blind for about 12 hours at a time and you'll see something. Stalking is more than just wandering around aimlessly in the woods until you see something. You need to find out the direction and time deer are moving through an area, locating feeding areas, beeding areas and water holes and moving very very very slowly. I am talking about perhaps 30 minutes tomove 20yds.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:59 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: squirrelkilla23

tactic 3- study the habits of deer in your area, put up a blind/ stand, and wait
That's the one I'll use and most will too.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hunt any way you want to that is legal in your state..
Old 03-26-2006, 08:56 AM
Fork Horn

Quad,
Really it depends on where you will be hunting. Hiking around in the woods just "looking for deer" is a good way to see their tails waving bye to you.
Putting up a feeder may not be legal in your state, you will need to find out. However, a feeder is not a magic potion. Some deer, especially older bucks, do not come to a feeder but it's a good way to start.
If you are a new hunter and want to stalk hunt I recommend that you go with someone thats done it before, successfully.
One very important thing is to spend a lot of time in the woods during the off season. Find out where the deer are staying, going to water, crossing fences/roads etc. The more time you spend in the woods the better hunter you will be and you will be more aware and more comfortable with what you are doing.
Also, dont forget to spend some time at the range. You need to shoot your rifle during the year to stay sharp.
And be careful of some of the advice you get here. Some folks think it's funny to post irresponsible responses to a novice hunters questions.

Quick Reply: Hunting tactics question???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.