Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Baiting for next year >

Baiting for next year

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Baiting for next year

Old 10-14-2008, 02:02 PM

Default Baiting for next year

I just got a small piece of property that I will not have the chance to hunt this year, but after scouting it, It looks like there are a few big boys, and several does that frequent the area. Great topo, just good all around, and I have exclusive rights. I figure that If I plan it right, I will be able to just hunt this area exclusively next year.I get six tags here, and although it looks like I will fill them all this year, I would like to just fill them all at this place next year.
Now, "hunting over any consumable substance" is illegal In my state, but I plan on stopping the food a few months before the season. There is a huge white oak stand in the middle of the property, so come season, there will still be plenty of food.
I am not going to be "baiting" for the purpose of a better chance at a deer, yet for the purpose of fattening them up all winter and summer.
The question I have for all of you is, what type of food should I use this winter, and next spring and summer? I dont really want to be feeding them artificial things, as I do not wish to screw up the natural "system". I kind of want to keep the diet to things they normally would eat in these seasons, just be able to provide more of it to them.

Also, If this Idea is somehow way out of line, feel free to let me know.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:06 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Baiting for next year

The easiest and cheapest method would be to feed them corn. I have a tripod feeder that holds about 200lbs of corn and it is set to feed twice a day. I only have to refill it every three months and swap out a battery every two. I got the feeder at BassPro for around $80 on sale and i also added a solar panel charger for another $25, it helps the battery last a little longer before i have to swap it out with a fully charged one. The corn that i feed them keeps them around all year but it is not that nutritional. I think most people add minerals and other types of pellet foods to there corn. Good luck!
Old 10-14-2008, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Since you cant "bait" plant a food plot, thats not illegal. Soy bean, wheat,corn, something simple.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't ever put food out. They'll find what they need, but I do put out the Trophy Rock. It contains minerals and things for the winter and believe me, they love it and will come back to it when its gone.