Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Deer hunting question >

Deer hunting question

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer hunting question

Old 10-13-2008, 07:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default Deer hunting question

Hey guys I'm new to this forum and had a few questions about some tactics to get some big bucks within shooting distance in the pre-rut. This is my first year bowhunting for deer and I have been out a good 12 times since bowhunting season opened up in michigan. I have tried a rattlebag, and everytime i use it the deer just go the other way, i also have been using a primos buck grunt call when i dont see deer and even when i do see a buck, and they will look up if they hear it and then ignore it. I also have been using some code blue doe estrous and havent had any luck. I havent had one chance at a nice buck yet this year, i have seen a few that i would like a shot at but i cant do anything to get them to come within shooting range. I was just looking for some tips for the pre-rut to maybe draw in some nice bucks that are on the property, which include a nice 10-point and about a 22 inch spread 8-point with close to 10 inch tines. I just cant seem to do anything to get any bucks in, and have only seen about 5 different bucks, of which only one was a shooter but did not come in close enough, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 10-13-2008, 08:37 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Deer hunting question

A couple of things if I may. I would suggest that it is a little early for the doe in estrus lure. Personally I would suggest getting a couple of books written by Greg Miller and Charles Alsheimer...those are the two I would say have some great tactics and background on whitetails.

OK, now for some pointers....DISCLOSURE: I AM BY NO MEANS AN EXPERT

Stand Sets : The basics are know when they spend time on their bellies and where they like to fill them. From there, find topo features or woodlines (inside corners, fence lines,creek banks, etc)that "pinch" downtravel routes. These will make nice ambush sites for deer. They like the easiest path of travel without exposing themself. Be sure that your set gives you the ability to see the deer approaching of course it never works out like it should. They always seem to come from where you least expect it. Also be sure to pay attention to the wind.

These pinch points or travel corridors should have some old rubs that are visible. This should give you some indication that you are on the right path. Normally bucks will rub and scrape in the same general areas, given that there has not been a dramatic change in food source, timber harvest, etc.

Calling : Most effective time to use calls is usually the early morning (first hour) and the last hour of daylight. This is from my experience and others that I have read about. Most important, do not call when the deer is in sight. When they hear a grunt for example, their mind tells them that they should see a deer. When they do not, they become weary and will usually go on about their business...older bucks will turn and walk away. Not to say that they won't come in, but it is doubtful. Rattling can be effective as well, usually rattle ina non-aggressive manner, trying to imitate that of young bucks sparring...however, it has been my experience that the smaller bucks will come in to investigate. Later as the chase phase begins, try somewhat more aggressive rattling. Keep in mind that most of the dominance is established without the need of conflict. I tend to rattle for about 30 seconds at three different intervals. In betweenI will toss in some grunts from my Primos Buck Roar.

Scents : I tend to utilize a non-estrus doe urine when I am finding scrapes being used. For me, I usually will "scent" them lightly. I have found my best luck to hunting scrapes at the tail end of a rain. For example, with the technology you can almost pinpoint when the rain will stop. Be rest assured that once it is, those bucks will be off their bellies out refreshing those scrapes. This is a good way to have a good mature whitetail expose himself. To me, this has been a successful method of sightings. In addition, I will do some drag lines across known trails to try and lure the deer closer in the event they are using a far trail. Be sure to loop the trail at the beginning and the end. This will prevent the deer for walking away and "searching"...I have had real good luck with this strategy later in October. Whitetails are a very social animal and believe me that the will respond more to their noses than that of hearing. To me, I have had alot of success using scents in the past.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:41 PM
Spike

Try using a buck decoy and hit a grunt call every so oftenfor the pre-rut.I would also put some kind of sent on it like buck bomb or some buck pee. For the rut i would change to a doe decoy and drag some doe in heat to the decoy on your walk in.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:46 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the help, and as to where my stand is it, it sits about 20 yds. from a soybean field and my stand sits right on a deer trail. However, i have not see any scrapes along this trail and havent seen any bucks use this trail while i have been out there, only does and fawns. And as for grunting, i wasnt sure when to do it so i tried both when i saw them and when i didnt see them, and neither worked. I think my problem is it has been so warm here, was in the mid 70's all last week and in the high 50's overnight, this week its supposed to drop off. I am just concerned that since i have not seen a single buck near the trail i sit on that i wont see any when they get in rut, but i dont know since this is my first time bowhunting, and have only ever taken one deer before so i am a novice and dont know deer all that well yet.