Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Ever try negatively scenting deer? >

Ever try negatively scenting deer?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ever try negatively scenting deer?

Old 10-11-2008, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ever try negatively scenting deer?

okay. What I'm getting at here is playing the wind. Theres anE SE wind, so I want to hunt the west part of this block of trees. It leads into milo and alfalfa. Now on the east of this block of trees is corn. I was just brainstorming and came up with this. What if a guy were to put a pair of work boots on the east side so the scent would blow into the block? Do you think that may push them out the west where the wind is blowing my scent away? It's just a thought.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:26 AM

Default RE: Ever try negatively scenting deer?

I think that is call molesting deer movement. If so, that is illegal here, I'm not 100% sure though.

I know lighting a fire to push deer is illegal
Old 10-11-2008, 11:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Don't know If that would work or not. When I'm bear hunting and I have a bait that's getting hit only at night sometimes I'll leave my jacket In the stand tree when I'm gone In hopes of keeping the bear from coming In at night. Sometimes It works, other times It don't.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:46 PM
Typical Buck

My Grandpa had a trick he used to use to move deer where he wanted them to go, like if he was hunting a spot that came off a trail that branched off and he didn't want the deer to go off a certain way, or he didn't want deer to leave the woods out a certain area, he would geta bag of hair clippings from his barber. Then he would get a bunch of those Leggs knee high panty hose and put a handful of hair in it, tie it off and hang them wherever he wanted to keep the deer from going. I tell you it sounds pretty goofy, but man it was really successful for him. He watched many a deer hit the scent of those bags and then turn and trot right to where he wanted them.
I do remember when I got in my teens and the hormones started kicking in, Grandpa had me out hanging the bags with him, and he said to be sure to only use the leg part, never the crotch area. I said Why not. He said that if you do that, every guy hunting downwind will be heading to our woods!!
Old 10-11-2008, 02:26 PM
Spike

This may sound stupid,but a guy at work was telling me that he would pee by certain trees or paths he didnt want deer to go. He claims that it works,but im not trying it!!!!
Old 10-11-2008, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know lighting a fire to push deer is illegal

I wasn't talking about something that extreme. I'm just wondering about throwing out a little negative scent their way. I've heard of people using that hair trick though.

Old 10-11-2008, 03:18 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: kruggy1

This may sound stupid,but a guy at work was telling me that he would pee by certain trees or paths he didnt want deer to go. He claims that it works,but im not trying it!!!!
The guy may think what he is doing works but the smell of human urine does not bother deer