Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Scenting my hunting gear >

Scenting my hunting gear

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scenting my hunting gear

Old 11-29-2005, 07:14 AM

Default Scenting my hunting gear

Maybe i did something weird but i got out into the forest and collected various leaves, branches and pineapples. I took a selection of what was availabe and came up with a plastic bag filled with "wood smelling" stuff.

Then i placed my new hunting gear along with the contents into a plastic garbage bagand put it into the dryer.

While it's tumbling you can smell the forest from the dryer! My guess is that the heat from the dryer will free the scents in the scrubbery and in or onto my hunting clothes.

Could this work or am i an idiot?

Old 11-29-2005, 07:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Scenting my hunting gear

I have no idea if it will work, but all I know is this about scent. No scent is the best scent. I wash my clothes in unscented tide, and myself in unsented soap. I believe no scent is best in any area I hunt.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:27 AM

PINEAPPLES?! You hunting in Hawai?

I have heard of placing items in a bag with hunting clothes but never putting a platic bag in the dryer! It might melt and get all over the place. Not to mention what burnt plastic might smell like on your clothes.

I would just wash and hang dry your clothes then place them in a bag with the items from the area you are hunting in.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:02 AM

OK, i just looked at the results of my experiment. The plastic bag didn't melt, and now, instead of smelling like new clothing my gear smells like ... forrest!The smell of trees and the woods.
Excuse me for my pineapple remarks, english is not my native tongue, i ment those conicalthings that grow on pine tree.

Pleasedon't misunderstand, but i am on a tight budget and the technical advancement of scent removers and carbon fiber clothing is hard to find and very expensive in my part of the world.

Even if NO scent is the best, my guess is clothing that smell like the surrounding area is better then smelling like a factory, or am i wrong?

Old 11-29-2005, 08:58 AM

Get out there and try it. If a deer smells you then your batch of homemade scentkiller didn't work, but you will never know if you are not out hunting.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:09 AM

I was just giving you a hard time. They are called Pinecones. I figured that is what you meant. If you don't mind, where do you live and what is your native tongue?

If this method works for you then by all means, use it. There are a lot of tricks people use that others think are kooky. I would just make sure you keep the heat low. I would not want to clean up melted plastic from the inside of my dryer and clothes. If you can save up the money, buy a clothes detergent for hunting. They do not have scent or dyes in them which may give you away in the woods.

I would agree with your last guess also. I prefer no scent because I do not know where I will be hunting from one day to the next but if you only have one area, continue what you are doing.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:59 AM

I know of a lot of people that do something similar to that every year. In fact, my Uncle will fill a plastic tote or garbage bag with leaves, twigs, etc. and put his hunting clothes in it and just leave it til the season starts. I don't think he's ever put them in the dryer with it and it's been effective. Either way, though...it is definately an effective and cheap way to get your clothes scent free (or atleast with the scent you want)
Old 11-29-2005, 02:22 PM

I've been using this stuff called Sport-Wash...scent free clothing detergent..s'posed to help with UV too...It's not too expensive, and a bottle lasts a LONG time. I then throw it all in the dryer with H.S. Scents dryer sheets...when dry, I put it all in a big airtight plastic storage bin until I'm ready to hunt. I hunt a LOT of days leaving directly from my office...I strip nekid, spray down with scent killer, and then dress in the clothes in the bin. The only time I was busted by scent was a couple times I overdressed and got sweaty gettin' back to the stand (stupid stupid stupid). I repeat the process for everything before every hunt...big pain in the butt, but I think it's worth it...I can't always count on the wind cooperating.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Let us know if it works.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:20 PM

If you don't want to use a plastic bag, an easier and more 'effective' method would be to use a pillow case. This will allow the scents to dispurse more rapidly, and evenly. Just remember to wash the pillow case in the same scent killing detergent you was your clothes in, such as baking soda. The pillow case filled with dirt, leaves, pinecones, etc. works great for scenting your clothes like the forest you hunt in.