Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Wifes 2cents on de scenting >

Wifes 2cents on de scenting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Wifes 2cents on de scenting

Old 10-12-2006, 06:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default Wifes 2cents on de scenting

Hey all here is something I have to ask you guys my wife was razzin me about my descenting ritual with myself and my gear, she thinks taht I spned too much money on the special brands and she is right I do spend a lot of money all the soaps and sprays for various items. well she took it upon herself to goto the store and buy the Arm & Hammer Laundry soap that is perfume and dye free! well she also decided to wash a set of my camo's fortuantly I have several, LOL the reason being is that she feel its the same as the special scent free detergants, well low and behold when she washed tehm and put them on the line they smelled the same as the scent lok detergant I use. so with the exception of posible UV brightners I am now wondedring is it really worth the extra money to but a pint at $12 verses 1 1/2 gallons at $5 ????? does anyone else use this detergant or have there wife done this to them also. bearing the results she truely has me stumpped on this one, what to you all think? Thanks
John
Old 10-12-2006, 06:58 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Wifes 2cents on de scenting

To be honest..I've been reading all the post on descents and I'm not really sold out on it...
I wear rubber boots and clean cloths on every hunt.. I also have digital camos but only because my son is in the service. I know you all have many more years experience in bowhunting than me so I'm still open but not totally sold on it yet. The other day a doe walked up to me. My fidgeting with the quick release I think spooked her. ..really not sure. Iuse to smoke cigerettes and had deer walk up to me while smoking in a stand...just not sure. I do like the idea of keeping some Tinks on a rag though in a baggie and then hang it on every trip. I also hunt according to the wind.
Just my 2 cents.
C7
Old 10-12-2006, 07:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

CTJ, The Arm & Hammer is a good choice as long as soaps, detergents, etc don't contain perfumy fragrances and are free of scent etc use away, another is Borax unscented etc....

I use Arm & Hammer unscented deorderant.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:15 PM

It's all about confidence. If you are confident that it works......it does. Period. You gotta do what ya got faith in. I'm a fanatic about de-scenting myself. I've this year started using Dead Down Wind and am 100% sold. Both does I've shot this year were down wind and never scented me. Admitedly the latest was in a ground blind, but at one point she was 5 feet from the blind and I was never winded.

Confidence. Respect it!
Old 10-12-2006, 08:09 PM

My buddy practices NO scent control at all.......his wife washes his clothes in Tide and uses perfume smelling dryer sheets etc........he washes with regular soap and uses regular deodorant.......no sprays of any kind.

He gets plenty of deer.

I practice good scent control. Scent free wash and deodorant, fresh earth spray and scent killer spray and local foliage in my clothes bag.......fresh earth wafers in bow case. Nothing fanatical and truthfully as the season gets longer my scent control gets attention.

I get plenty of deer.

Not sure what that means........other then there is more then one way to skin a cat.

One big thing I think most guys overlook is that they worry so much about themselves and forget all about the 50 other guys out there. Unless you have your own land and know you are the only guy out there then you are really just rolling the dice. On public or well hunted private land there is always the chance that the day before you set up there was a guy sitting 20 yards away smoking all day with no scent control and making all kinds of noise...........then took a big steamy dump on his way out. All the precautions in the world are not gonna save you there. Just like if 10 guys were in the woods with wicks soaked in Tinks yesterday it probably isn't a good idea to use it tomorrow.........and that has nothing to do with the product.

One of my spots I have been scouting since early summer..........I went in to trim some shoting lanes and there was some moron walking all over the place small game hunting. [:@]

Sometimes it's a gamble.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:25 PM

I wash my clothes in baking soda which is cheap.I use unscented deoderant and bathe with ivory soap.The only thing I splurge on is the hs scents green liquidsoap that I use for shampoo.I just try and eliminate any perfumes or added scents.I wash my clothes, dry them in the dryer and put them in a trash bag in my duffel so they don't pick up any unnecessary odors.The biggest thing is to stay downwind of the deer.I don't care how clean you are you still stink to a deer.

CB
Old 10-13-2006, 02:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

I wash my clothes in baking soda which is cheap.
Same here. Has no brightners either.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:53 AM

I think "scent free" or "no scent" is way to over rated. Just another way to get your hard earned dollars in their pocket. The prices on the"scent free" clothing is crazy!
Old 10-13-2006, 03:28 AM

ORIGINAL: CAJUNBOWHNTR

I wash my clothes in baking soda which is cheap.I use unscented deoderant and bathe with ivory soap.
CB
Ditto. Cheap, easy and effective.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

baking soda and homemade scent killer and hunt when the WIND IS RIGHT.. that is the key.. You can stink to HIGH heaven, but if the wind is right, THEY will never smell you...

Quick Reply: Wifes 2cents on de scenting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.