Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 CRIMSON TALON 100 >>>IS IT AS GOOD AS..... >

CRIMSON TALON 100 >>>IS IT AS GOOD AS.....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

CRIMSON TALON 100 >>>IS IT AS GOOD AS.....

Old 03-21-2003, 07:54 PM

Default CRIMSON TALON 100 >>>IS IT AS GOOD AS.....

they say it is?

Here is the write up on there page ..

CRIMSON TALON 100
The Crimson Talon™ 100 is the flagship of the Crimson Talon line. The world' s first fixed-blade broadhead to incorporate the patent - pending Spin-Tite Airfoil Technology™. Spin-Tite Airfoil Technology™ actually spin-stabilizes the arrow resulting in perfect and predictable flight no matter what size or configuration of vanes or feathers!

Weighing a precise 100-grains and featuring a substantial 1 - 1/4 inch wide cut. The Razor-Bore Ferrule™ is constructed of the finest 7075 aircraft grade aluminum and touts the patent-pending V-LOCK Blade Attachment System™. The V-LOCK System grips the blades and provides rock-solid anchoring in the ferrule. The six-blade configuration features razor-honed stainless steel patent-pending EZ-Flex Blades™. These patent-pending blades also sport patent-pending Shred-R Mini Gut Hooks™ that insure massive hemorrhaging and unmistakable blood trails. Additionally, the Shred-R Mini Gut Hooks™ also keep the wound from closing as with all other traditional broadhead designs.

Available in 3-Packs.
Part Number #2003-100

ABSOLUTELY NO TUNING REQUIRED! Simply screw-on and hunt!
Arrows are spin-stabilized from the front!
ABSOLUTELY NO WIND PLANING! Period.
Faster, flatter and more accurate than any other broadhead!
Massive hemorrhaging and unmistakable blood trails!
Wound will not close or clot.
Here is a link to them..... http://www.spintite.com/features.html

Hey 5Shot, have you tested these? If so, what do you think of them, if not, do you plan on testing them?

They do have a pretty radical and " cool" looking design. I am just not sure about the curved blades. It would seem to me " even though I am NOT a brainiac" that a curved blade would produce more drag while going through and animal, and would actually hinder the penetration. I could be wrong on this.

Well, just wanted to know if any of you guys have used them/tested them and what you think.
Old 03-21-2003, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: CRIMSON TALON 100 >>>IS IT AS GOOD AS.....

Never shot them but the following lines don' t fill me with confidence in the people who are promoting them:>>>>>>(ABSOLUTELY NO TUNING REQUIRED! Simply screw on and hunt!)<<<<<<What idiot gives someone advice like that? No one should hunt with an untuned bow regardless of what type head you are using. And then there' s this line>>>>>>(Wound will not close or clot.)<<<<<<<How the hell can they promise that? Are they coating the blades with an anticoagulant chemical? Do the blades leave retracter clips in the wound channel to prevent closure? Smells like BS to me.
Old 03-21-2003, 08:57 PM

I have not tried these braodheads or seen them tested but some of my mates have tried some similar and didn' t like them at all. My mates and I use a two blade blackstump broadhead with great penetration, strength and damage to the quarry. Does anyone know how much the crimson talon 100' s cost cause they look pretty damn expensive, I' d be guessing around AUS$20 each. The Blackstumps are very popular in Australia and only cost AUS$4 each. Although the Crimson Talon 100 might be a great broadhead I find that the two blade broadheads do the job with ease.
Old 03-21-2003, 09:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Steve.
Have you tried the Ribteck heads I used them when I was there but cant get them over here in the USA
Old 03-21-2003, 10:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

I sent them an e-mail last month to ask about where they would be selling them so I could check them out this summer. They e-mailed me back and told me they would send me some free heads to test out if I e-mailed them back at the end of March. I' ll be sending them an e-mail here in the next couple of days to get the heads. I' ll probably just shoot them into my target to see how they fly and if 5-shot wants to test them on his stuff I' ll send them to him as he certainly has a more vigerous testing system than I do. Unless he already has some.

I really want to check out the Razor Caps.
Old 03-21-2003, 10:44 PM

Ausie-guy.
I have used Ribtecks and I don' t particularly like them at all. Ther' re not very strong or reliable, but they are pretty cheap. I' d probably only use ' em when hunting foxes or rabbits, anything larger and I find they don' t have the strength I' d like to have in a broadhead especially when it comes to punching through a pigs fighting pad or bone. But still some hunters use them for pigs and deer. The blackstump does them all so that' s all I use.
Cheers mate.
Old 03-21-2003, 10:47 PM

What did you go after Ausie-guy when you were here in Paradise? How did you find the Ribtecks for you?
Old 03-22-2003, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have not tested them, but I sure plan on it! As far as I know they still are not ready to ship any. Bigbulls I would love to try them out if they do send you some. I know thier adds sure sound great, but remember they are trying to sell broadheads. This year we have a bunch of new heads coming out, so it looks like I will be busy.
Old 03-22-2003, 06:31 AM

Thanks for the replies guys.

5Shot, just by looking at them, how do you think they would do?

They don' t appear to be as tough as your go to head " Muzzy" The blades look like they would be rather easy to break. Also, I didn' t see them state what the blades are made of.

The tip of the broadhead seems to be very large too. Maybe it is just the pictures, but the thing looks huge.

Also, with the curved blades and extra " Shred R mini gut hooks" , it would seem to me that penetration wouldn' t be as good as some of the better known broadheads.

This broadhead has 3 regular blades, 3 " mini gut blades, the ferule, and the tip. So, there are 8 pieces that come together to make one broadhead. Most others are made in 5 pieces. The extra pieces and " assembly" points would have me worried about the strength and durability.

I guess we won' t know for sure till you get some tests going.