Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Crimson Talon broadheads good choice? >

Crimson Talon broadheads good choice?

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Crimson Talon broadheads good choice?

Old 12-30-2004, 07:05 AM

Default Crimson Talon broadheads good choice?

I just started bowhunting this year and I believe I am hooked. There is just so much to learn about bowhunting (the gear and accessories). 1 problem I'm having is choosing a broadhead I like. I'm currently useing muzzy 3 blade 100gr. I harvested a doe in Oct. and my shot was a double lung and posterior heart shot but my blood trail didn't start until after she ran 20-25 yards, fortunately she died shortly after running that distance. I am just wondering if I need a different broadhead, because I know the distance some deer run after being shot can be a long ways. I have been looking at the Crimson talon raptor broadheads and Magnus, but cant decide. I know you should shoot what works well with your bow, but these broadheads are to expensive to go out and by 3 or 4 different kinds (although I wish I could do that). The Raptors say it has a 1 1/2inch cutting diameter, does that make a difference? I have read several articles and web sites but I am still unsure of what to do. I'm sure you experienced guys have been asked this same question MILLIONS of times, and I hate to keep repeating it but I'm just confused of what to do and I only want to get the most out of my bow and whatever broadhead I use. Sorry to be so longwinded, but I would appreciate any input.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:16 AM

Default RE: Crimson Talon broadheads good choice?

I have only been bowhunting for 3 seasons and I have used the Crimson Talon for the last 2 years and I won't use anything else. I know all of the talk about them not being as tough as some of the others, but honestly, cement block doesn't taste very good. The reason I switched from mechanicals after my first season was because the place I hog hunt won't allow mechanicals and the Crimson Talon was new on the market. It solved some planing issues that I had and even increased my arrow speed. Earlier this season I shot a buck at 35 yards and hit it in the front right leg joint. The joint was shattered and the broadhead made it through into the vitals in one piece. Of course the broadhead was useless, but that's my own fault for not putting a good shot on him. It sickens me to lose a wounded deer and with my, sometimes poor, shot placement this broadhead has saved me from losing a deer or two. Keep in mind that I don't have the experience of 20+ years to back up any of my experiences. I can only tell you what has happened to me in the last couple of seasons. I have shot 3 deer, 2 hogs, 1 coyote, and 1 texas dall ram with the Crimson Talon. I think they are a great broadhead, but I also shoot a Hoyt and drive a Chevy. You may shoot a Mathews and drive a Ford. Good luck
Old 12-30-2004, 12:56 PM
Fork Horn

stick w/ the muzzys. crimson talon is overrated. you can buy muzzy's at wal marts if you run out.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:49 PM

Don't fear change.
Old 12-30-2004, 05:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Tried them but I wouldn't give you a nickle for them. The blades are dull as a butter knife, yes the "new" ones. Blades are flimsy, Very weak furrel design with SIX slots cut into an alluminum furrel. Tips easily bend over the furrel. Not to mention what they cost.[:'(] Oh yeah, Good luck practising with them unless they shoot all the way through the target. The blades will bend over if you try to pull them back out through the front. You MUST push them all the way through and unscrew them.

Save your money and buy a quality broadhead. My first choice is Slick Trick. Other very good choices are Magnus stingers, Steel Force, Innerlock, Wasp, montec, and Rocky Mountain.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:22 PM

Crimson Talon, aren't they the ones with the bent blades?
Old 01-01-2005, 07:39 PM

they have bent blades, weak ferrul and HUGE tip. Shoot the G5 montecs or razorcaps. Cut to the tip 3 blade is the way to go.