Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Grazed a deers back!!Updated..No Deer! >

Grazed a deers back!!Updated..No Deer!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Grazed a deers back!!Updated..No Deer!

Old 10-05-2008, 06:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default Grazed a deers back!!Updated..No Deer!

Was hunting the same stand that i missed the big 8 pt out of last night when a doe and spike came out.They were at 23 yds.I put my 20 yd pin on the buck and it hits him almost in his spine but almost grazing him.He runs off but is having a hard time running and is really digging in the ground while hes running like hes gonna stumble.I get down no hair or blood.My arrow has a little blood on it and is covered in white stuff.So i walk in the direction he ran and got to the edge of the woods and find blood and then find just a bit more.So i mark the spot and backed out.Im gonna go back in the morning at about 7 and search the part of woods he ran into.I know those woods like the back of my hand so,if hes in there i'll find him.He probly ran 200 yds total in the field.So i think its a win win situation.If i find him,I get my deer and meat!IF i don't,I know hes still alieve.As he was running away i could see a gap or gash in his back right above his shoulder.What do you guys think!For some reason my bow shoots high out of this stand.Its only 16ft ladder stand.I shot a doe out of my summiit climber at about 25 ft and nailed her right where i was aiming.My bow shoots dead on when i came home on the target.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Grazed a deers back!!

ORIGINAL: brushbustin

Was hunting the same stand that i missed the big 8 pt out of last night when a doe and spike came out.They were at 23 yds.I put my 20 yd pin on the buck and it hits him almost in his spine but almost grazing him.He runs off but is having a hard time running and is really digging in the ground while hes running like hes gonna stumble.I get down no hair or blood.My arrow has a little blood on it and is covered in white stuff.So i walk in the direction he ran and got to the edge of the woods and find blood and then find just a bit more.So i mark the spot and backed out.Im gonna go back in the morning at about 7 and search the part of woods he ran into.I know those woods like the back of my hand so,if hes in there i'll find him.He probly ran 200 yds total in the field.So i think its a win win situation.If i find him,I get my deer and meat!IF i don't,I know hes still alieve.As he was running away i could see a gap or gash in his back right above his shoulder.What do you guys think!For some reason my bow shoots high out of this stand.Its only 16ft ladder stand.I shot a doe out of my summiit climber at about 25 ft and nailed her right where i was aiming.My bow shoots dead on when i came home on the target.

The reason it shoots high is because you are not maintaining proper form when shooting at a target below you. You are dropping your bow arm... which changes the relationship between your eye, the sights, and your arrow. You might want to consider a kisser button if you are having a hard time with it. Make sure you keep your nose on the string.... never ever ever move your left arm.... let your hips do the moving. Think about the "I'm a little tea pot" song you probalby had to sing for your parents back in pre-school..... when you tip over and pour out.... keep your feet together when you practice.... thats how you have to shoot out of a tree stand anyway... it will help you stand up straight, and bend properly.

Good luck in the morning... if you are high above the shoulder and didn't spine the deer, I'd say your chances are fair at best. Deer will probably live. Hope that I'm wrong. Best.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

How can you almost hit it'sspine, almost graze it, and at the same time hit right above theshoulder?
Good luck finding the deer.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:19 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rory/MO

How can you almost hit it'sspine, almost graze it, and at the same time hit right above theshoulder?
Good luck finding the deer.
I mean that im not sure if i spined it,because my arrows was covered in what looked like stuff that would be on bones,and i think i grazed it because if i spined it i figure that it would have fallen in its tracks,and by right above its shoulder i mean directly above it by its spine.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I mean that im not sure if i spined it,because my arrows was covered in what looked like stuff that would be on bones,and i think i grazed it because if i spined it i figure that it would have fallen in its tracks,and by right above its shoulder i mean directly above it by its spine.
Contrary to popular belief, the spinal cord actually runs directly below the back bone.... not through it.

The only thing that covers bone is muscle and cartiledge... muscle is red, and cartiledge wouldn't come off on an arrow. If there was white liquid on your arrow... it was either mucus (found in the lungs and respiratory system) or something not G rated and not commonly found in the shoulder area of deer.....

It could perhaps of been fat, or some type of tissue from the skin itself. Most deer do have several layers of fat right at the base of the neck and shoulder area, especially bucks. Fat doesn't really tend to come off on an arrow though. I'm almost at a loss to explain that... unless its just wetness from muscle fluid like lymph or something like that.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:56 PM
Spike

hopefully you will find your deer. Almost exact same thing happened to me this weekend. I shot my first deer that i did not recover. Shot it high and deer stumbled a little as she ran. Found arrow and it had 2 or 3 piecies of hair and it had a whitish tissue or fat material on it. Followed drops and at one point a pretty good blood spot rubber on a couple of trees for about 300 yards and then came to the soybean fields and lost her.

It was such a bummer losing a deer. I guess it could have been a buck and been worse. I figured that if it can go that far that she will be ok. What does everyone else think.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds to me you wounded him and hes still running around,sounds like you contacted a fatty non lethal area under the spinal cord. good luck searching and if he is down, good luck. But i think this is a lost deer personally.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:21 AM
Typical Buck

Well i just got back from looking for him.I followed him for probly another 200 to 300 yds before he went into another little field.You could count on 1 hand all the drops of blood i found while tracking him.He ran across the field where i shot him(200 yds) and then down into a hollow and back up the other side and where he climbed the other side,I had a hard time getting up it.And then ran along the ridge to a small field where i couldn't tell where he went.All in all it was probly a 500 yd or longer track,I could only track him by where he had kicked up the leaves.I think he is still alieve which don't bother me.What would bother me is if i hit him in the guts and didn't find him.What do you guys think?Is he alieve or not?
Old 10-06-2008, 07:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Alive and well
Old 10-06-2008, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think he is still alieve which don't bother me.What would bother me is if i hit him in the guts and didn't find him.What do you guys think?Is he alieve or not?
He's still alive but it would bother me knowing I wounded an animal. Wounded one last year and still think about to this date but I always try and correct my mistakes.