Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shot a Doe...had to back out!!!!!--Updated--w/Pics >

Shot a Doe...had to back out!!!!!--Updated--w/Pics

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shot a Doe...had to back out!!!!!--Updated--w/Pics

Old 09-23-2007, 09:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Shot a Doe...had to back out!!!!!--Updated--w/Pics

Went out this evening and hunted a stand I haven't hunted yet this year! It's on the edge of a Cedar Swamp that leads into tall grass then into the corn! I had a Doe appear in the tall grass out of nowhere. I watched her for a while just out of range, all I could see was from the neck up. She looks around for a bit then moves in my direction. At about 27 yards she steps out of the tall grass and into the clearing. I stop her broadside, put my pin on her boiler room, settle down and release my arrow. NOT GOOD, the arrow clips something and swirls thru the air and Crack-tha-wack hits the Doe and all hell breaks loose, alot of commotion and she drops! The arrow never stabilized from the release so I do not know where I hit her! I wait about 20 minutes until dark and quietly get down, on my way down she gets up and starts running, not leaping but more of a plowing sound thru the tall grass, I bummed at this point! I again hear her in the swamp, not far off. I back out and head back to the truck! I am not feeling good about this situation. I hate to leave deer over night. Last weekend I shot a Doe and within 2 hours the Coyotes ate more then half of her! This Doe tonight was shot about 250 yards from where I shot the one last weekend! I don't know what else I can do?? The temps are going down to about 56 degrees tonight, and a high of 80 tomorrow![:'(][:@][:'(]
I am so drained from running the shot over and over thru my mind trying to figure why my arrow was all over the place??? I will be out there before first light. Please wish me luck, I could really use it right now!

Joe b!
Old 09-23-2007, 09:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Shot a Doe...had to back out!!!!!

Get out there, get close and listen for the yotes. They'll give it away.

Give it the right amount of time and head back in before the yotes get to her.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

It'll be good maybe the Yotes wont feel like goin into the swamp...
Old 09-23-2007, 09:11 PM
Dominant Buck

I wish you all the luck in the world.....and I pray you have a good recovery.

I sure am perplexed about what could have happened, though. Is there a reason you didn't shoot her while she was down? Could you see her? If so....could you tell if she'd expired (or...thoguth she had)?

Just curious.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

GMMAT, I really couldn't see anything but 1 ear and my arrow, I watched her ear thru my binos and really thought she was dead!
Old 09-23-2007, 09:16 PM

It's sort of odd that she dropped on the spot like that and then gets up and runs as you get down. Guess you were thinking spine shot at first and that she was "in the bag."

Did you find the arrow?

Good luck in the morning finding her.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:19 PM
Dominant Buck

If you thought she was dead......heck....I'd have gotten down, too. I can't say you did anything wrong. The flight of the arrow is what I'm perplexed about. What's up with that?

Is there a reasn you're not going back out there, tonight?
Old 09-23-2007, 09:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ducsauce

It's sort of odd that she dropped on the spot like that and then gets up and runs as you get down. Guess you were thinking spine shot at first and that she was "in the bag."

Did you find the arrow?

Good luck in the morning finding her.
Thats exactly what I thought, a spine shot! I didn't go over and look for my arrow because I didn't want to push her any further that I already did, but I could see my Luminok!
Old 09-23-2007, 09:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Perhaps solid front leg shot or shoulder shot will drop them on the spot and then they regain their momentum. Solid shoulder your hopes are still high.

Could you see your Lumenock as she ran off or did it snap the arrow or leave it behind?
Old 09-23-2007, 09:27 PM

That is weird. How long has it been since you shot her? Almost sounds like she was going to lay down and die on the spot until she heard you coming down.

My guess....she's dead.

Quick Reply: Shot a Doe...had to back out!!!!!--Updated--w/Pics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.