Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 leaving a pop up blind on public land >

leaving a pop up blind on public land

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

leaving a pop up blind on public land

Old 10-05-2008, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: leaving a pop up blind on public land

If you can, make sure you are well after dark and are back well before first light. Don't know if you would get lucky doing that for more than 1 trip, especially if anyone one is hunting in close proximity to you and sees the blind.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

my plan i sto leave here about 5 pm whichs is almost two hours stay untill legal hunting time is up then leave get up at 4 am head out at 5 check in and be at the blind by 6ish. Which is about 1 1/2 hours before sunrise. might take a little nap why i wait.
ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

And isn't it sad that we have to be concerned that our equipment might be stolen by a fellow hunter.

Big Tim, if your hunting it at last light, and your in by first light, it should still be there. I wouldn't leave it for days as I'm saddened with our own ranks. I learned today we have a member reusing dull broadheads, we have countless stand stolens, trail camera's stolen. How sad.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

a guy told me last year they caught to guys who did this.
They bought there license went to the pro shops and talked with guys. Then would go check in at the office of the park. look for a spot where some one is hunting a area. Which is shown to everyone who signs in after you then goes to that spot find where they would set up. waits for them to leave and steals there stand. He said they got caught because. A guy shot a deer. Left his gun and everything at the stand. Then when he took the deer to the truck stole his stuff. They got caught hanging out at the pro shop with the guys gun behind there seat and his stand in the bed. There not hunters just low down thiefs
ORIGINAL: Tomkat08

Well i would not call someone who steals other blinds and gear a fellow hunter at all. This person has no problem stealing gear, they will have no problem poaching as well. So more or less i say they are not my fellow hunter by far.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:23 PM
Fork Horn

That sounds good. Two things, if you're in a remote area, even on public land that should help increase the chances its still there but doesnt gaurantee it. And GMMAT has expressed this many times before, and I agree with him wholeheartedly, if you're in an area where deer bed or nearby, and there's a good chance of spooking them, make sure you get in very early. One and half hours before sunrise will likely do.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:44 PM
Typical Buck

I HAVE REALLY WORRIED ABOUT MINE WHEN I HAVE LEFT IT EVEN ON PRIVATE LAND.
MIGHT BE WORTH WHILE COLLAPSING BLIND WHEN YOU LEAVE, MIGHT MAKE IT MORE DIFFICULT TO BE SEEN???
Old 10-05-2008, 02:04 PM
Spike

I also will be using a blind on my first public land hunt(Green Swamp West) and I have the same concerns! I want to set it up, brush it in real good and leave out overnight but the wife keeps telling me I'm crazy and that it will be stolen if I leave it out.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

well thats why i want to leave it it is hard to set up it is a hub type and you must figure out which one of the hubs are the top and then pull them all out
ORIGINAL: AK NIMROD

I HAVE REALLY WORRIED ABOUT MINE WHEN I HAVE LEFT IT EVEN ON PRIVATE LAND.
MIGHT BE WORTH WHILE COLLAPSING BLIND WHEN YOU LEAVE, MIGHT MAKE IT MORE DIFFICULT TO BE SEEN???
Old 10-05-2008, 06:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd be worried about it getting stolen.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:35 PM
Fork Horn

Left a stand of mine in semi private woods in PA a couple year back for 4 hours of light left. Since I was hunting the am, and we never see anyone in the woods with us...it would be fine. Well.....one new lone wolf climber down the drain. I never leave a stand on the woods again unless it is well after shooting hours and I am arriving before light. Even then, I know I am taking my changes.

Good luck.