Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 would you use a ground blind on public land during gun season? >

would you use a ground blind on public land during gun season?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

would you use a ground blind on public land during gun season?

Old 09-21-2003, 07:44 PM

Default would you use a ground blind on public land during gun season?

I was thinking about buying a blind to use during gun season but I started thinking it might not be safe since there is no way to see my hunter orange unless I put some on the outside of the blind. Just curious what yall think.
Old 09-21-2003, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: would you use a ground blind on public land during gun season?

I wouldnt, to many loonies on public land during the muzzle and gun seasons.
Old 09-21-2003, 08:21 PM

no, atleast not on the more popular and crowded areas of public land. maybe if I was positive I was in an area that wasnt too crowded. treedog said it, too many loonies
Old 09-21-2003, 09:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

i mostly only hunt state game lands and never hunted from a tree stand and so far i only gun hunt....so i ALWAYS do....and im RARELY on truely private land....i mean people own some of the land i hunt but if you want to hunt it you can its big and youd never find the owners house anyway....i never feel unsafe or anything....and dont see much of an disadvantage...though i did buy a stand this year just to get above the thickets and see a little more then i do because the terrain is awkward in my new spot and i think a stand will help me a bit....i mean some of them yahoos with their 760s (aka PA machine guns) and thier lever guns really fling some lead when they think they see something....kinda scarrey but usually im away from them....we usually walk about 2 miles in where most of the weekend warriors will not go......theres been surveys done here that show 4 out of 5 hunters dont go more then 3/10s of a mile in the woods.....so im pretty safe lol.....walking out scares me the most...who knows if someones around a bend and things you sheding a layar of clothing or something is a deer moving and they rip you to pieces(assuming they hit you with all that lead lol) i like ground hunting....and i dont use a real blind.....a few old trees that fell and a few sticks we put up if our cubby hole.....it works for us.......
Old 09-21-2003, 10:39 PM
Fork Horn

When I find a new place to hunt while on public land. I choose to erect a ground blind using dead fall and other materials found on the forest floor. This creates enough cover to shield most movement but still allows your hunter orange show through the branches.

Then if you determine that the spot is worthy of a permenant blind then you put it up and make an orange flag or something of the sort to place on the stand while you are in it.
Old 09-21-2003, 11:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

He!! No[]

Brian
Old 09-22-2003, 02:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

I do it. And just take my chances sometimes. Death dont scare me so no big deal. Thats what weird about Pa. they require 244 inches of orange in gun season,but dont say anything about hanging orange from a ground blind. But in the bow season bow huntewrs in the trees must have 100 square inches hanging within 15 feet of your stand. Like deer are in trees or something.
Old 09-22-2003, 04:33 AM
Dominant Buck

I hunt public land to some degree every year , and yes , I do it from ground blinds . Sometimes it' s my pop-up , sometimes natural cover . If you use a pop-up your orange will be visible through the windows if you don' t zip them up to " murder slits" , and mine has a detachable blaze camo topper . When using natural cover my orange toboggan is always clearly visible .
Old 09-22-2003, 05:42 AM

I always hunt land that' s open to the public (forestry land). When I' m not tracking or still-hunting, I sit in a natural ground blind. Never really worry about getting shot, since I' m sitting as still as possible, plus my orange is still visible. If I found myself in a spot where I was seeing more pumpkins than deer, I' d move locations ' cuz I don' t like to hunt where others are anyway.
Old 09-22-2003, 05:48 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: would you use a ground blind on public land during gun season?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.