Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 leaving a pop up blind on public land >

leaving a pop up blind on public land

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

leaving a pop up blind on public land

Old 10-05-2008, 07:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default leaving a pop up blind on public land

OK guys i had not intended to leave my pop up over night. But on my first hunt with it yesterday morning. It cost me a chance at a deer because i spooked a deer walking in.

i will be hunting a area of bean fields with wood lines cutting three small fields into thirds. I plan to set up on the last wood line. I was thinking about setting the blind up tonight maybe doing some late afternoon hunting leaving the blind up and heading in real early say at least an hour before sunrise.
i would leave tonight at dark and be in there a good time before sunrise.
Would i be OK with leaving it or would it get stolen at night.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: leaving a pop up blind on public land

Depends on who's around how much use this land gets. I would think it would be ok but you have to expect there is a chance it would be gone. As sad as it is.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd think you'd be OK. But thats the ONLY way I'd ever leave a stand on public ground around here! I just talked to a guy last week who left a stand upone hour before dark the night before our gun season last year and found it gone in the morning
Old 10-05-2008, 07:54 AM
Typical Buck

It should be fine unless someone is wondering around the woods in the dark.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

And isn't it sad that we have to be concerned that our equipment might be stolen by a fellow hunter.

Big Tim, if your hunting it at last light, and your in by first light, it should still be there. I wouldn't leave it for days as I'm saddened with our own ranks. I learned today we have a member reusing dull broadheads, we have countless stand stolens, trail camera's stolen. How sad.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:32 AM
neb
Typical Buck

Where I live you can't leave blinds or tree stands up on public lands. You have to take them down after each time you use it. The reasoning of it is that anybody should be able to use that tree or spot to hunt. This way it almost shows that the spot is owned by you. If a person kepted up a stand all year someone else could hunt there but problems could happen. People getting mad if they set up a tree stand right next to you. Might want to check if you can leave it set up on public lands.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Where it's legal, leave a note with it so everyone knows it's there for a purpose. Not saying it will deter a thief.
If you brush it in real good that should help keep the Deer from spooking.
Good Luck.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I second what Rob said..if you hunt at last light then come back first thing in the morning to hunt it, you should be good. Other than that, remove it each time. I have had two stands and a whole tub of my clothing stolen from the places I hunt...and it is a pretty closely guarded military base...leads me in only one direction, a fellow hunter stole my stuff. Cost me alot of money in the last 3-4 years.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:13 AM

Well i would not call someone who steals other blinds and gear a fellow hunter at all. This person has no problem stealing gear, they will have no problem poaching as well. So more or less i say they are not my fellow hunter by far.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:25 AM

you shouldnt have any problem leaving it

Quick Reply: leaving a pop up blind on public land

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.