Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Pass through with sharp blades verse "dull" blades >

Pass through with sharp blades verse "dull" blades

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Pass through with sharp blades verse "dull" blades

Old 10-04-2008, 06:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Pass through with sharp blades verse "dull" blades

Hmm whatever you think admin. Im sure not matter what type of tip you shoot and if its sharpened or not. But I think if your bows pushing enough FPS and kinetic energy no matter if they are sharp or not. Its still gonna cause massive bleeding.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:39 PM
Typical Buck

In my opinion, the sharpness of your broadhead is more important than the type/brand and maybe even the size of a broadhead. Broadheads are meant to cut and I want to be sure mine are going to do just that. That's why I want a sturdy sharp blade. My Magnus Stingers fit the bill and so do the Slick Trick Mags I got this week.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

How dull are we talking? If dull enough, you could very well get a pass through but not of the diameter your bh is, because of such a blunt force your making the initial hole, and then stretching the rest of the blade through, thus leaving a smaller hole, Plus all of the internal matter your "pushing" through rather than cutting.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:42 PM
Fork Horn

How dull are we talking? If dull enough, you could very well get a pass through but not of the diameter your bh is, because of such a blunt force your making the initial hole, and then stretching the rest of the blade through, thus leaving a smaller hole, Plus all of the internal matter your "pushing" through rather than cutting
Im not saying butter knife dullness but i mean even after shooting a deer with one you can use it again.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:43 PM
Fork Horn

I am not calling anyone an idiot for of all people I have as much if not more then anyone to learn about deer and bow hunting. I apologise if I offended you in anyway. I was just stating that this site is awesome in the factthat the users will teach you where you are lacking informationand help you anyway they can.

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

And jjlem, I hope you are not directing this to me:

"That is a good explanation. Thats why I like this site. not only do you get called an idiot but at least you get a reach around with an explantion of why your an idiot."

I AM exploring a concept so that I can benefit from others knowledge.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: nissan300ztt

Hmm whatever you think admin. Im sure not matter what type of tip you shoot and if its sharpened or not. But I think if your bows pushing enough FPS and kinetic energy no matter if they are sharp or not. Its still gonna cause massive bleeding.
I 100% disagree with you. A dull head no matter how fast it's traveling can push arteries and other blood vessels out of the way resulting in a very poor blood trail and worst case scenerio, a puncture wound. The sharper the head, the more cutting it's going to do.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:45 PM
Fork Horn

Also, I am not saying use dull blades at all. When I head out I won't even use the BH's I used to practice with, brand new MX3's will be on the end of my arrows.

Your kidding right? With that logic why not shoot a completely dull blade. Hell for that matter why should the broadhead makers even bother sharpening blades at all.You absolutely need as sharp a blade as you can possibly get if you want a quick kill and a fast recovery of the animal...END OF STORY!!!
Nontypical Buck

How dull are we talking? If dull enough, you could very well get a pass through but not of the diameter your bh is, because of such a blunt force your making the initial hole, and then stretching the rest of the blade through, thus leaving a smaller hole, Plus all of the internal matter your "pushing" through rather than cutting
Im not saying butter knife dullness but i mean even after shooting a deer with one you can use it again.
Not without some honing(sp) I hope? Usea arm hair shaving blade every time, if it dont cut the hair on your arm, dont use it... JMO and for the record.... the jagged edge thing?... what does a jagged edge do? it tears, leaving "flaps" of skin to bond and clot.
Nontypical Buck

No problem JJ--gotcha.

Quick Reply: Pass through with sharp blades verse "dull" blades

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.