Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Pass through with sharp blades verse "dull" blades >

Pass through with sharp blades verse "dull" blades

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Pass through with sharp blades verse "dull" blades

Old 10-04-2008, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Pass through with sharp blades verse "dull" blades

I keep hearing people say, "unless the blades are really really sharp, there won't be much of a blood trail on pass through". Maybe it is just me but I don't get it. If the arrow passes through the animal, it has to have cut on the way through, correct? If a "dull" broadhead doesn't cut on the way through a pass through shot, then what is is doing, moving things out of the way saying, "ok please move out of the way lungs, please move out of the way heart....ok thank you now I will exit out of the skin...thanks"?

I am not advocating dull blades, but isn't a pass through, a pass through?
Thoughts?

This is what I have edited to my original post...below:

I think maybe I did not explain myself better in my first post....this is what I wrote, " "unless the blades are really really sharp, there won't be much of a blood trail on pass through"."

I was really just comparing very very sharp broadheads as compared to those "less" sharp. "less" sharp meaning those that are still sharp, just not deadly sharp like some of you like to have them. By saying "dull" I meant comparitvely to the extremely sharp heads. BELIEVE methat is what I meant
Old 10-04-2008, 06:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Pass through with sharp blades verse "dull" blades

Agree. A dull blade or sharp blade, its going to slice something on its way throu. Now my question is. Does a dull blade cut more like a dull shaving razor? man dull shaving blades cut the dickens.

Dull blades will tear, and a scalpel sharp blade will cut. There is a difference.
Fork Horn

Actually the more jagged the cut the more bleeding. Thats why the magnus serrated blades are so awesome. Just like cutting your hand with a dull blade it tears skin and not slices.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

No, Your exactly right, think about all of the veins and arterys running through a deers vital, a sharp blade will severe(sp) the aterys/veins where as a dull one would push, stretch, bruise them. Like a rubber band, push a sharp one accross them, then push a dull one.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:27 PM
Fork Horn

either way blood will flow.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know walking through some thick thorns tonight that they sure "tore" my arm and made me bleed like heck.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

If a "dull" broadhead doesn't cut on the way through a pass through shot, then what is is doing, moving things out of the way saying, "ok please move out of the way lungs, please move out of the way heart....ok thank you now I will exit out of the skin...thanks"?
Dull blades will push there way through thus not getting as good of penetration, sharp blades will not push, they will cut and go much deeper. This Is the exact reason why I shoot a cut on contact head Brett. I want my sharp blades cutting there way through, not pushing there way through like a dull head or a bullet/chisel point head will do.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:29 PM
Fork Horn

That is a good explanation. Thats why I like this site. not only do you get called an idiot but at least you get a reach around with an explantion of why your an idiot.
ORIGINAL: buckmaster

No, Your exactly right, think about all of the veins and arterys running through a deers vital, a sharp blade will severe(sp) the aterys/veins where as a dull one would push, stretch, bruise them. Like a rubber band, push a sharp one accross them, then push a dull one.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lets use another analogy....you shoot your arrow through a sponge with a dull blade, and then shoot your arrow through a sponge with a sharp blade.....both shots pass through and take out exactly the same amount of surface area. Which sponge would bleed more if it contained blood?

Quick Reply: Pass through with sharp blades verse "dull" blades

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.