Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Speaking of STUPID things on the stand.. >

Speaking of STUPID things on the stand..

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Speaking of STUPID things on the stand..

Old 09-30-2008, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Speaking of STUPID things on the stand..

Who was it that posted that thread a couple of days ago about what's the stupidest thing you've ever done? Well, I pulled one heck of a bone-headed stunt about an hour ago. I got up in the tree at around 5:30, hooked up, hung the bow, secured the safety strap and all of that good prerequisite stuff. Then I grabbed an arrow and nocked it, looked around and sat down. At about 6:45, I glance over my left shoulder and catch a glimpse of movement. I focus, and it's four does... two young ones andtwo mature ones. The lead doe was a nice one, and that was perfect. I sloooowwwwly stood up, sloooooowwwwwly got my bow and slooooowwwly turned to shooting position. I quietly hooked my release on and just as the lead doe was about to step into the clearing, I started to draw.

The next few seconds will be with me for a long time. As soon as I put tension on the string, I watched in utter disbelief as the arrow that, as it turns out, wasn't actually fully nocked, teeter forward, whipping the fletch end up to TICK against the riser, then the sight and then fall to the ground, making an impossible amount of noise for an arrow. They didn't run right away. The smart old lead girl took a full 15 seconds or so to look me over and it was as if she was saying "Heh heh.... Stupid!". Then sheblew, wheeled and they all waved goodbye with their hind ends as they cleared out of the area.

Is there some award I win for this one?[X(][X(][][>:]
Old 09-30-2008, 07:11 PM

Default RE: Speaking of STUPID things on the stand..

I think most of us have been there....join the club. I did it twice in a row once.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

that really sucks but I know exactly what you mean and I have done it before....just thankfully not while any game was infront of me...
Old 09-30-2008, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

Been there, but one of the doe fawns came over and sniffed the arrow.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

that would suck. Look at the brite side, you weren't drawing back on a monster buck.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: V8Ranger

that would suck. Look at the brite side, you weren't drawing back on a monster buck.
Good point. Now THAT would be devastating.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

LC .... I would love to have had that happen to me today ..... count your blessings .....
Old 09-30-2008, 07:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

last year opening day...8am or so....a twig crack in the thicket got my attention...it was to the right of me and i was on the edge...stood up and grabbed the bow and looked over and here he comes...steps out maybe 10yds away...nice 8pt id take in a heartbeat...wasnt huge...probably 2.5...but would been a dandy first bow kill....

he looks away...slightly quartering away...close leg forward...picture perfect crease right behind the shoulder....my mouth was watering...hit full draw...heard the nock pop off the string..WTF [] i was shooting a nap 1000 prong rest...somehow i caught it but it was off the string and i am at full draw with a shooter within 15yds...probably like 10yds...he heard it..but had no idea what it was...he walked off and as he was i let down and managed not to kill myself on the broadhead(that was talent!) he gave me more shoots at what i thought was 30...i was hunting a different tree that morning due to the wind than i was used to....i paced it off later and found it was 21 or 22 yds...still top pin shooting i shoulda took...he wasnt alert...didnt hang around all day and knew somethng wasnt 100% right...

i sat there all morning pondering WHAT in the world made my arrow pull from the string...nock was good...serving was fine....FINALLY the lights came on....i lay my bow across the from of my viper right side down(quiver side...no quiver on it though) the arrow doesnt stay on the rest...it lays on the riser...when i stood up i never put it on the prongs...it layed between the rest and riser and right before i hit full draw the broadhead caught on the riser and i kept pulling through the last 1/2 inch...

........i bough a QAD HD this year one less blonde moment to go wrong....cock it and forget it.....KISS keep it simple stupid....aughta be my motto
Old 09-30-2008, 07:32 PM

Im the one that posted that....and I have also done what you did as well!!
Old 09-30-2008, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, okay.Looks like quite a few others have done the same thing. I don't feel so bad knowing that I'm in such good company.[8D]

Quick Reply: Speaking of STUPID things on the stand..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.