HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Speaking of STUPID things on the stand..
Old 09-30-2008, 07:05 PM
LittleChief
Nontypical Buck

Default Speaking of STUPID things on the stand..

Who was it that posted that thread a couple of days ago about what's the stupidest thing you've ever done? Well, I pulled one heck of a bone-headed stunt about an hour ago. I got up in the tree at around 5:30, hooked up, hung the bow, secured the safety strap and all of that good prerequisite stuff. Then I grabbed an arrow and nocked it, looked around and sat down. At about 6:45, I glance over my left shoulder and catch a glimpse of movement. I focus, and it's four does... two young ones andtwo mature ones. The lead doe was a nice one, and that was perfect. I sloooowwwwly stood up, sloooooowwwwwly got my bow and slooooowwwly turned to shooting position. I quietly hooked my release on and just as the lead doe was about to step into the clearing, I started to draw.

The next few seconds will be with me for a long time. As soon as I put tension on the string, I watched in utter disbelief as the arrow that, as it turns out, wasn't actually fully nocked, teeter forward, whipping the fletch end up to TICK against the riser, then the sight and then fall to the ground, making an impossible amount of noise for an arrow. They didn't run right away. The smart old lead girl took a full 15 seconds or so to look me over and it was as if she was saying "Heh heh.... Stupid!". Then sheblew, wheeled and they all waved goodbye with their hind ends as they cleared out of the area.

Is there some award I win for this one?[X(][X(][][>:]