HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Speaking of STUPID things on the stand..
Old 09-30-2008, 07:31 PM
mauser06
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Speaking of STUPID things on the stand..

last year opening day...8am or so....a twig crack in the thicket got my attention...it was to the right of me and i was on the edge...stood up and grabbed the bow and looked over and here he comes...steps out maybe 10yds away...nice 8pt id take in a heartbeat...wasnt huge...probably 2.5...but would been a dandy first bow kill....

he looks away...slightly quartering away...close leg forward...picture perfect crease right behind the shoulder....my mouth was watering...hit full draw...heard the nock pop off the string..WTF [] i was shooting a nap 1000 prong rest...somehow i caught it but it was off the string and i am at full draw with a shooter within 15yds...probably like 10yds...he heard it..but had no idea what it was...he walked off and as he was i let down and managed not to kill myself on the broadhead(that was talent!) he gave me more shoots at what i thought was 30...i was hunting a different tree that morning due to the wind than i was used to....i paced it off later and found it was 21 or 22 yds...still top pin shooting i shoulda took...he wasnt alert...didnt hang around all day and knew somethng wasnt 100% right...

i sat there all morning pondering WHAT in the world made my arrow pull from the string...nock was good...serving was fine....FINALLY the lights came on....i lay my bow across the from of my viper right side down(quiver side...no quiver on it though) the arrow doesnt stay on the rest...it lays on the riser...when i stood up i never put it on the prongs...it layed between the rest and riser and right before i hit full draw the broadhead caught on the riser and i kept pulling through the last 1/2 inch...

........i bough a QAD HD this year one less blonde moment to go wrong....cock it and forget it.....KISS keep it simple stupid....aughta be my motto