Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 NC Guys- Anyone heard of a season change next year >

NC Guys- Anyone heard of a season change next year

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

NC Guys- Anyone heard of a season change next year

Old 09-27-2008, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default NC Guys- Anyone heard of a season change next year

I have heard from several different people that gun season and bow season will come in at the same time next year. That sounds absurd to me and see no reason to open both at the same time, and I havent heard it from a direct source yet. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Brent
Old 09-27-2008, 09:26 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: NC Guys- Anyone heard of a season change next year

I've heard the same thing.....and I've seen several petitions to stop it.

It won't affect me, really.....but you can bet your ass I'll be at every meeting voicing my opposition to it....even if I have to carpool with others to get to some of the meetings.

We (north carolinians) need to wake up, though. They're trying to tell us something. We're not taking enough does. In my opinion, we could do the following things to aid in the taking of more does, though:

1. Stop the SILLY rule that virtually unlimited does can only be taken on certain grounds in certain times of the season. When we kill too MANY.....THEN make an adjustment. That's NEVER been the problem, here.

2. Extend the freakin season! WHY is this so hard to grasp? DUH!!!!

3. Implement an EAB program in certain areas/zones.....and MAKE the hunter check them in. It'll have costs associated with it (more NCWRC personnel needed at check stations)....but it'll prevent "some" unethical behavior.....and they could quit giving away extra doe tags and charge $5 for each PAIR issued. That's not a lot of money....but it would probably pay for the program I mention.

There have to be other alternatives....but the one proposed is ludicrous. "Maybe" they're trying to send us a wake-up call. If so....I hope a lot of people wake up.....and start taking freakin does!
Old 09-27-2008, 10:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

question for you guys....what kind of firearm seasons do you have now??? seasons/bucks or does/weapons allowed?? just curious....

when i read the first line i instantly kinda knew that IF its true its because of the crazy buck to do thing ya'll got goin on....it honestly sounds like the OLD PA...but we have roughly 1million hunters....when they flooded us with doe tags and gave us more chances to kill them, we ridded the forest of many does.

just curious what your current seasons are now....i know your bow season comes in WAY earlier than ours....just curious what other seasons ya'll have and if they are buck or doe or both, and how is the doe tag situation....even still in pa there are only 3 areas you can get unlimited...but all the others sale out QUICK...
Old 09-27-2008, 11:54 AM

They have extended our Gun season the last few years. While the rest of the state usually goes out first of December in my county and Rutherford County we are in until after Christmas.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:56 AM

There are 3 differant Zones in NC. Each one has a differant time to start each season. My zones archery came in Sept. 8. While our Muzzleloader is in for one week Oct. 6-11. Our rifle season in my county is longer than the rest of the area and is from Nov. 24 thru Dec 27.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:59 AM
Fork Horn

i think im in the wrong county(jackson) ive seen 1 deer this season with no shots at her
i would take all 6 does mabie 5 and a buck but havent seen them yet loli wish they would extend the season or just make it a unified season across the state sept 8-nov20th ish then gun from nov 20- dec 8th
Old 09-27-2008, 12:05 PM

Our gun will eventually go out Jan 1. in our zone. The does are way to overpopulated. I am in the western zone and they have talked of making rifle season from Sept. 8 to Jan. 1 the last few years. Would kill the advantage us bowhunters have now.[:@] They have already extended a few counties 3 weeks longer than the rest of the state.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:39 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

It won't affect me, really.....but you can bet your ass I'll be at every meeting voicing my opposition to it....even if I have to carpool with others to get to some of the meetings.

We (north carolinians) need to wake up, though. They're trying to tell us something. We're not taking enough does. In my opinion, we could do the following things to aid in the taking of more does, though:

1. Stop the SILLY rule that virtually unlimited does can only be taken on certain grounds in certain times of the season. When we kill too MANY.....THEN make an adjustment. That's NEVER been the problem, here.

3. Implement an EAB program in certain areas/zones.....and MAKE the hunter check them in. It'll have costs associated with it (more NCWRC personnel needed at check stations)....but it'll prevent "some" unethical behavior.....and they could quit giving away extra doe tags and charge $5 for each PAIR issued. That's not a lot of money....but it would probably pay for the program I mention.

There have to be other alternatives....but the one proposed is ludicrous. "Maybe" they're trying to send us a wake-up call. If so....I hope a lot of people wake up.....and start taking freakin does!
GMMAT, you have all really good ideas but i am not crazy about the EAB program. I do not want to have to pass on a true NC trophy on opening day cause i have not shot a doe yet. but thats just my opinion. ALTHOUGH, i do agree with unlimited doe tags for 2 reason. 1 is people like me whom prefer the taste of doe to buck will usually shoot 6 does a year. I have shot 2 bucks over the past 5 years. I will only shoot a buck for the bone and then give the meat away so if i do not shoot a buck i prefer to take all does. I would love to be able to put 8 or 9 in the freezer so my family and i can rely on it more heavily. 2 is other then the people whom want it for the same reason i do is............i really hate to say this but for those hunters whom just enjoy killing.........would be able to take more does and reduce the buck to doe ratio.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

we see it everywhere almost in the state does are way too plentiful, the club I joined last year had limited hunts from anyone else, but if they pass this bowhunting will slowly die out in some areas and will do nothing but hurt the sport- EAB doesn't bother me, whatever it takes to get some folks to shoot does
Old 09-27-2008, 01:32 PM

ORIGINAL: jimmy28303

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

GMMAT, you have all really good ideas but i am not crazy about the EAB program. I do not want to have to pass on a true NC trophy on opening day cause i have not shot a doe yet. but thats just my opinion. ALTHOUGH, i do agree with unlimited doe tags for 2 reason. 1 is people like me whom prefer the taste of doe to buck will usually shoot 6 does a year. I have shot 2 bucks over the past 5 years. I will only shoot a buck for the bone and then give the meat away so if i do not shoot a buck i prefer to take all does. I would love to be able to put 8 or 9 in the freezer so my family and i can rely on it more heavily. 2 is other then the people whom want it for the same reason i do is............i really hate to say this but for those hunters whom just enjoy killing.........would be able to take more does and reduce the buck to doe ratio.
Jimmy...maybe NC could incorporate something similar to Virginia's EAB program. We are allowed to kill a buck before a doe but we must kill a doe before we take the second buck. I'm not sure how many bucks you guys are allowed but that would be an improvement. Needless to say, I don't mind this EAB program. BTW, its not statewide either; only certain counties.

Quick Reply: NC Guys- Anyone heard of a season change next year

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.