Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 NC Guys- Anyone heard of a season change next year >

NC Guys- Anyone heard of a season change next year

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

NC Guys- Anyone heard of a season change next year

Old 09-27-2008, 04:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: NC Guys- Anyone heard of a season change next year

ORIGINAL: Finch

ORIGINAL: jimmy28303

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I've heard the same thing.....and I've seen several petitions to stop it.

It won't affect me, really.....but you can bet your ass I'll be at every meeting voicing my opposition to it....even if I have to carpool with others to get to some of the meetings.

We (north carolinians) need to wake up, though. They're trying to tell us something. We're not taking enough does. In my opinion, we could do the following things to aid in the taking of more does, though:

1. Stop the SILLY rule that virtually unlimited does can only be taken on certain grounds in certain times of the season. When we kill too MANY.....THEN make an adjustment. That's NEVER been the problem, here.

2. Extend the freakin season! WHY is this so hard to grasp? DUH!!!!

3. Implement an EAB program in certain areas/zones.....and MAKE the hunter check them in. It'll have costs associated with it (more NCWRC personnel needed at check stations)....but it'll prevent "some" unethical behavior.....and they could quit giving away extra doe tags and charge $5 for each PAIR issued. That's not a lot of money....but it would probably pay for the program I mention.

There have to be other alternatives....but the one proposed is ludicrous. "Maybe" they're trying to send us a wake-up call. If so....I hope a lot of people wake up.....and start taking freakin does!
GMMAT, you have all really good ideas but i am not crazy about the EAB program. I do not want to have to pass on a true NC trophy on opening day cause i have not shot a doe yet. but thats just my opinion. ALTHOUGH, i do agree with unlimited doe tags for 2 reason. 1 is people like me whom prefer the taste of doe to buck will usually shoot 6 does a year. I have shot 2 bucks over the past 5 years. I will only shoot a buck for the bone and then give the meat away so if i do not shoot a buck i prefer to take all does. I would love to be able to put 8 or 9 in the freezer so my family and i can rely on it more heavily. 2 is other then the people whom want it for the same reason i do is............i really hate to say this but for those hunters whom just enjoy killing.........would be able to take more does and reduce the buck to doe ratio.
Jimmy...maybe NC could incorporate something similar to Virginia's EAB program. We are allowed to kill a buck before a doe but we must kill a doe before we take the second buck. I'm not sure how many bucks you guys are allowed but that would be an improvement. Needless to say, I don't mind this EAB program. BTW, its not statewide either; only certain counties.
See, I would be ok with that. I thought the EAB program meant you could not shoot a buck till you shot a doe but the way you explained it is fine with me. You mentioned about how many bucks we can take, i am in the eastern part of the state and we are only required for 2 of our six deer be does although we are allowed to take all does if we want but 2 MUST be does.
Old 09-27-2008, 04:50 PM

Well I think most states require you to kill a doe before a buck can be taken. Thankfully, VA went with this route.
Old 09-27-2008, 04:53 PM
Fork Horn

hey finch, your in VA? let me ask you. I just got stationed here and noticed on Ft. Eustis, they only allow shotgun or black powder. Are rifles not allowed in VA or is that just their rule?
Old 09-27-2008, 04:56 PM

Yeah, VA allows rifles. Must just be that area?
Old 09-27-2008, 04:57 PM
Fork Horn

ok, thanks
Old 09-27-2008, 07:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

That would change the whole complexion of bowhunting.[:'(] Could you imagine if they pulled that crap here in Pa?
Old 09-27-2008, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I thought they were just trying to make a uniform deer season, open turkey season a weekearlier, and allow Sunday bowhunting. Is there something thatI am missing?
I would be all for extending the season....and letting us shoot some does during muzzleloader and rifle season here in the western part of the state.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is so much BS around here guys. I plan to go to college to become a Marine/Wildlife biologist, our fishing is getting screwed up to. There is a reason I bowhunt, I love the peacefullness of the woods during bow season, no guns going off every 10 minutes. An EAB program would not hurt my feelings at all, considering if you see a buck once around here, most likely he will show up again in the same spot. I really like the idea of antler restrictions of three to a side, unless the animal is wounded. Five dollars per extra set of doe tags would bring in so much more revenue to our WRC, but I guess they can not see that. I buck a year, Antler restrictions, EAB program at least do something NC, besides opening up gun season from Sept. 8 to Jan. 1. I also like the idea of an early season for does like some other states have in place. This sounds like I have to go lobby now and voice my opinions, no matter how broke I go. [:@]
Brent
Old 09-27-2008, 09:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm not at my office, so my figures may be a little off, but if memory serves me, in NC we kill about 55,000 does and button bucks and 45,000 antlered bucks...As stated, we need to kill more does...Last year, I killed 8 does and one buck, unfortunately, to many, deer hunting isn't about hunting for food, or to put meat in the freezer....It's for the racks...Many hunters don't even eat deer...

I don't think making the season longer will help with harvest figures...The average hunter stops after he kills a couple of deer...

If we look at bringing in bow season, say, August 1st...Who the heck wants to hunt when its 95 degrees??? It's tough enough when it's 80...

Currently in the Central area of the state (where the most human population is and most deer colllisions), muzzleloading comes in the 2nd week in November...This is when the rut is kicking in...Many guys are then waiting for a buck, not a doe, and will continue to do so until after Thanksgiving week...Most of the locals I know, either go down east or down to SC or take a couple of does with their bow before gun season even comes in...

Now...If we extend the season into January, you are stepping on the toes of small game hunters, many who wait until after deer season so they aren't running rabbits with beagles during deer season...Plus...You are killing does that have already been bred...

That's why the proposals are being looked at...Hunters being able to take more deer because franky there just are not enough being taken during the September and October bow season...

Currently, they are just being "kicked around", nothing definate...The proposals are just for private land as the numbers of deer killed on game land aren't that significant...So, if you hunt private land and want to continue to bow hunt, you can do so...
Old 09-28-2008, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't forget the dog hunters. They speak with a loud voice here in the Eastern zone... and they don't want any restrictions. They trample trespassing laws and blatantly hunt within arms reach of the blacktop roads. Somehow, I don't think EAB will mean much to them.

Quick Reply: NC Guys- Anyone heard of a season change next year

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.