HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - NC Guys- Anyone heard of a season change next year
Old 09-27-2008, 12:39 PM
jimmy28303
Fork Horn

Default RE: NC Guys- Anyone heard of a season change next year

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I've heard the same thing.....and I've seen several petitions to stop it.

It won't affect me, really.....but you can bet your ass I'll be at every meeting voicing my opposition to it....even if I have to carpool with others to get to some of the meetings.

We (north carolinians) need to wake up, though. They're trying to tell us something. We're not taking enough does. In my opinion, we could do the following things to aid in the taking of more does, though:

1. Stop the SILLY rule that virtually unlimited does can only be taken on certain grounds in certain times of the season. When we kill too MANY.....THEN make an adjustment. That's NEVER been the problem, here.

2. Extend the freakin season! WHY is this so hard to grasp? DUH!!!!

3. Implement an EAB program in certain areas/zones.....and MAKE the hunter check them in. It'll have costs associated with it (more NCWRC personnel needed at check stations)....but it'll prevent "some" unethical behavior.....and they could quit giving away extra doe tags and charge $5 for each PAIR issued. That's not a lot of money....but it would probably pay for the program I mention.

There have to be other alternatives....but the one proposed is ludicrous. "Maybe" they're trying to send us a wake-up call. If so....I hope a lot of people wake up.....and start taking freakin does!
GMMAT, you have all really good ideas but i am not crazy about the EAB program. I do not want to have to pass on a true NC trophy on opening day cause i have not shot a doe yet. but thats just my opinion. ALTHOUGH, i do agree with unlimited doe tags for 2 reason. 1 is people like me whom prefer the taste of doe to buck will usually shoot 6 does a year. I have shot 2 bucks over the past 5 years. I will only shoot a buck for the bone and then give the meat away so if i do not shoot a buck i prefer to take all does. I would love to be able to put 8 or 9 in the freezer so my family and i can rely on it more heavily. 2 is other then the people whom want it for the same reason i do is............i really hate to say this but for those hunters whom just enjoy killing.........would be able to take more does and reduce the buck to doe ratio.