Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How do you guys practice? >

How do you guys practice?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How do you guys practice?

Old 03-19-2003, 01:22 PM

Default How do you guys practice?

I have been shooting bows for 17 years now. I practice 4 to 5 days a week. I shoot about 30 arrows a session. I have always shot from known distances of 20 ,30, 40,and 50 yards.

I am looking to really improve my quality of praactice and ulitimately my shooting ability ( hunting and 3D ). I feel like I am missing out on some techniques that are out there.

Any help or suggestions?
Old 03-19-2003, 02:43 PM

Default RE: How do you guys practice?

I got out of the backyard and joined my local club. They have a NFAA course and a 3D area as well. 3D also has a couple of treestands set up too.
Not sure if that is what you were looking for.
Old 03-19-2003, 03:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I pretty much do the backyard thing at known distances. But once in a while, I throw on the Judo points and grab a paper sack. Crumple up the paper sack and toss it around the yard and shoot at it with the judos. Helps a lot for the unknown distances and you can' b be off by much without a deffinate miss.
Old 03-19-2003, 03:10 PM
Fork Horn

I pretty much practice the same as you do. 4-5 days. 30 arrows.

When it gets close to hunting season I practice everynight, but it is 1 arrow. It forces me to concentrate on that 1 arrow. Hit or Miss, 1 arrow is all I get.
Old 03-19-2003, 03:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would also suggest 3-d but that isn' t the only thing you can do.

Start shooting from different spots in your yard,such as from an angle at 26-27 yards instead of 30.This will give you an opportunity to learn to gap pins.

Also I like to kneel on the ground or stand in a chair,these seem silly but do help in the field.A tree stand in the yard is also a great idea.One thing I really like to do is to sit on the ground and face the target,pull the bow and shoot with as little movment as possible.This could be a deadly shot to add to your hunting.Also,shooting from the chair and shooting as far behind as you can will help when that deer is a little behind you and you can' t stand and turn.
Old 03-19-2003, 03:47 PM

I used to shoot everyday, untill I read one of the well known shooting coaches say to shoot every other day. Theres probably nothing wrong with ten or twenty arrows a day, but for me a good sequence of 60 or so every other day has improved my shooting. My old muscles need a day of rest in between.
Old 03-19-2003, 11:03 PM

I do the same as thes guys also... throwing in more the just sitting down.
I do a bit more stand on the roof of the house in the trees and shoot through the barn anything to make it more challeangeing and real life. And those aol cds make great targets and are free.
Old 03-20-2003, 06:16 AM

I give each of my two kids 6 arrows and tell them to space them out within the bow area. Then I go to the arrows, alternating kids of course, and shot them back at the target. They are a lot more creative than I am and think it funny to make dad shot around a tree or the corner of the house. I also enjoy doing this because the kids get involved. Looks like bows are in both of their futures. My oldest loves to go out in the woods and I think this year the little one may get to tag along. Gives them idea of how to make it harder on Dad.
Old 03-20-2003, 08:10 AM

I use to shoot 25-30 arrows everyday but have switched to shooting every other day. Also start off shooting at 55 yards and work my way closer. there is not much room for error at 55 yards and really helps build confidence. Also agree with TFOX. Mix it up a little. Don' t stand right at known yardages and also try different angles.