Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 practice.  What do you guys think?Kida long   sorry >

practice. What do you guys think?Kida long sorry

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

practice. What do you guys think?Kida long sorry

Old 09-15-2007, 05:15 PM
Typical Buck

Default practice. What do you guys think?Kida long sorry

Thissubject recently became very important to me. I have always tried to practice,but I haven't always praticed as much as I should. I have since devised a plan. I plan to shoot 3 shots a day. If those 3 shots find their mark;I will put the bow away until the next day. If they do not;I will shoot three more. I will repeat this until all three shots hit the mark. Shooting for groups is pointless at this time. It is close to season and there is only one shot that really counts.[the first one] Everything after that is just practice. If I can't find my mark with the first shot I will practice until I can. I want to shoot three shots because it seemed silly to get my target and my bow out to shoot one shot. So,three it is. I htink this is a good way to keep my form and not burn myself out. I think my grip arm is getting tired from work and shooting as well. So I need to keep it to a minimum. What do you guys think?

[/align]
Old 09-15-2007, 05:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: practice. What do you guys think?Kida long sorry

That's a pretty good plan but don't get caught up fighting to hit your mark on a bad day. Remember practice good, not bad. Bad practice can cause more harm than good. As long as you know you executed your shots correctly and still missed your mark, don't fight it.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think there's a big differance in good practice and just shooting.When practicing,you should always work on something.Whether it be your anchor,release,follow-thru,stance,etc
Old 09-15-2007, 05:45 PM
Typical Buck

[/align]
[blockquote]
[/align]

[blockquote]

[/align]The point would be to maintane form. Nothing else. I didn't practice for 2 weeksand couldn't shoot for #2; when I finally did get to shoot. [/blockquote][/blockquote]
Old 09-15-2007, 06:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

I want to shoot three shots because it seemed silly to get my target and my bow out to shoot one shot
I do it everyday of my life. I have a treestand and target setup at work. Before I start my day I set a 3d target up (different yardage/angle), climb my practice stand and grab my bow with ONE arrow. I sit down and go through the motions like it's the real deal. I shoot my single arrow and that's it. There is something about knowing you have one shot to make it count that puts that much more impetus on that shot (just like the real thing). Flinging arrow after arrow becomes too repetitive and easy. You fall into a comfort zone knowing you have "x" amount of arrows to shoot if the one your shooting doesn't find the mark. I think it is a very effective way to practice. I could go on and on and on about the psychology behind the whole routine and golf analogies, but I won't [8D].

I also practicewith multiple shots quite a bit to work on form.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:20 PM
Typical Buck

One arrow practice is about as real as it gets. I'm retired so I shoot 5-6 one arrow "groups" throughout the day. If you can, shoot with a broadhead on that one arrow.
Like Rob/Pa. said don't get too hung up if you don't hit your mark, missing will make you concentrate that much more on your next practice round which trains you to concentrate like you need to in real life. Make it fun!!!

Dan

[/align]
Old 09-16-2007, 08:45 PM

i think its better to shoot more than just three
Old 09-16-2007, 08:51 PM
Dominant Buck

It's good to practice one shot once or twice a day.... BUT... it won't build the muscle tone or memory that your form needs. Shoot your 3 shots and then do some pure form shooting. Don't get all wrapped up in hitting the mark one or two times. Practice should include some shooting just concentrating on form. Even blind bale shooting is great and probably we all should do more of it. Repetition makes it happy automatically in crunch time. 3 arrows a day won't do it. You may get away with it, but it's not the answer.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's OK to practice shooting a bunch of arrows but I always focus on the first shot of any practice session. It's the first shot that counts and I would rather shoot one good arrowand put the bow down than shoot 20 arrows fast and furious.
Keep the muscles tuned and tonedbut focus on ONE arrow. I also like to make my first shot at adiif angle or target so it forces my mind into pinning down the distance. Shooting at set distances all the time is uncool..Mix it up.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: davidmil

It's good to practice one shot once or twice a day.... BUT... it won't build the muscle tone or memory that your form needs. Shoot your 3 shots and then do some pure form shooting. Don't get all wrapped up in hitting the mark one or two times. Practice should include some shooting just concentrating on form. Even blind bale shooting is great and probably we all should do more of it. Repetition makes it happy automatically in crunch time. 3 arrows a day won't do it. You may get away with it, but it's not the answer.
EXACTLY,you must find and maintain muscle memory.This is what make good form so important,it is the easiest to repeat.

Don't practice untill you get it right,practice untill you can't get it wrong.

Quick Reply: practice. What do you guys think?Kida long sorry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.