Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Michigan man sues DNR for recent bait ban >

Michigan man sues DNR for recent bait ban

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Michigan man sues DNR for recent bait ban

Old 09-25-2008, 09:14 AM

Default RE: Michigan man sues DNR for recent bait ban

yea good point again
Old 09-25-2008, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wisconsin has had CWD in there deer herd for over 20 years, but somehow they manage to harvest over 500,000 deer last year and every year they shoot some of the biggest deer in that state. I've hunted Wisconsin many times for deer and hunted the CWD zones and I can tell you this gets blown way out of proportion. I will say that banning of baits such as sugar beets, apples and such should be done IF they find CWD outside a fenced in deer herd. Corn I still feel is fine, as long as it is not on the cob. If its spread out over a decent size area, I find it no different than a group of deer feeding under an acrorn tree.

I do agree with the guy suing that state of Michigan. The disease hasn't been found in any wild deer yet and Michigan is hitting the emergency button. This guy should be furious and I would do the same thing. Any business is a gamble, but when your government screws you over then you have the right to be pissed. I hope everyone who planted Sugar Beets sues the state of Michigan until they have proof that CWD is in the deer herd.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:25 AM

good point but dont you agree that its better to be safe than sorry. my best friend is a farmer and he saves moneyfor this type of stuff...i say hit the apnic button for now before it get worse and get to our free herd. i do understand your point as well buut i dunno to many pros and cons to know what best
Old 09-25-2008, 09:43 AM
Fork Horn

to all the michigan hunters who are saying food plots are not baiting...... you need to look again. the dnr had implemented a baiting and FEEDING ban. Food plots fall under feeding and it is banned. here is the link http://michigan.gov/documents/dnr/2008-2009_deer_and_elk_feeding_and_baiting_regs_rev2008 Sep3_247749_7.pdf
Old 09-25-2008, 10:23 AM

ORIGINAL: misscortney

I understand that, but newlaws should adjust to the economy, not the economy adjust to new laws. What I'm trying to say is, is that this is not going to make the economy any better. Everyone thinks it's up to the president to save us, but it is up to the states as well. Sure, they took a gamble, but every business is a gamble. Maybe if MI was a little better off this wouldn't bug me so much, but right now is not the time to save some freakin deer.
The man is sueing for $100,000. This is a drop in the bucket to the bad Michigan economy. If you are willing to sacrifice the deer herd for the economy, lets kill all the deer and sell the meat to China!!!

Michigan needs rational reactions to problems, not emotional reactions.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:24 AM

ORIGINAL: grneyemonstr

to all the michigan hunters who are saying food plots are not baiting...... you need to look again. the dnr had implemented a baiting and FEEDING ban. Food plots fall under feeding and it is banned. here is the link http://michigan.gov/documents/dnr/2008-2009_deer_and_elk_feeding_and_baiting_regs_rev2008 Sep3_247749_7.pdf
Great link!! now read it!!
Old 09-25-2008, 10:26 AM

yea but a food plot foir this year was planted before the ban...im not going to go out and get rid of a 2 acre food plot YOUR NUTS!
Old 09-25-2008, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: grneyemonstr

You might want to re-read that link. The 3rd bullet point saysfood plotsare NOT baiting.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Given the rise in food prices and alleged shortages of things like corn because of the promotion of biofuels, one wouldn't think that there would be a problem with marketing crops that can't be sold for bait.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:31 AM

Food plots are naturally occurring foods, standing agricultural crops, or foods that are placed as
a result of using normal farming practices, and are not considered baiting or feeding.

thats what the reg says right there...

Quick Reply: Michigan man sues DNR for recent bait ban

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.