Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Michigan man sues DNR for recent bait ban >

Michigan man sues DNR for recent bait ban

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Michigan man sues DNR for recent bait ban

Old 09-25-2008, 05:22 AM

Default Michigan man sues DNR for recent bait ban

NOT A ARGUMENT ON BAITING HERE PLEASE!

i cant find a atricle on it but ill keep looking. But a farmer from Eaton Rapids, Michigan claimed suit on the michigan DNR for their ban on baiting. he is claiming that he has over $100,000 worth of corn a sugar beats thathe planted to feel to hunter for deer feed/bait.

just thought this was intresting and im sure everyone will have their own opionon so lets hear. but lets stay away from if baiting is hunting or not or ethical or not please
Old 09-25-2008, 05:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Michigan man sues DNR for recent bait ban

Does Michigan consider Food Plots as baiting? Sugar beats are greatas a food plot suplement. Not sure what to do about the corn issue there though. Im from WI and its hard in quite a few areas here to get deer without baiting. When the CWD outbreak occoured here, they quarentined certain areas and those areas are the ones that are CWD controlled hunts. If Michigan was smart, theyd take the area that they found the cwd in, set it in its own zone so many Sq miles and have that zone as a CWD zone area, anything is legal to shoot in CWD zones but baiting is not. The rest of the state that is legal for baiting has a 2gallon limit per 40 acres per hunter. I think MI needs to look towards WI as an example on how to control the issue at hand. I think WIhas done a great job on trying to control it, even though it may never get truely controlled, but we are making the efforts to do so.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:36 AM
Fork Horn

I can't beleive food plots would be considered baiting.... Nebraska baiting is just a pile of corn. And you can still do it just not hunt within 200 yards I beleive it is.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:39 AM

good point. i know the 1st action they took was ban baiting. im doing my research right now on what a food plot is considerd
Old 09-25-2008, 05:42 AM

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/2008-2009_deer_and_elk_feeding_and_baiting_regs_rev2008 Sep3_247749_7.pdf

this will answer your ? if a food plot is baiting

but what bout salt blocks or mineral blocks
Old 09-25-2008, 05:57 AM

I agree I didn't know food plots were considered baiting
Old 09-25-2008, 05:58 AM

bump
Old 09-25-2008, 06:22 AM
Fork Horn

he is claiming that he has over $100,000 worth of corn a sugar beats thathe planted to feel to hunter for deer feed/bait.
Its not a food plot, he was planning on selling the harvest to hunters to use to bait. Now baiting is banned, he has a harvest he cannot sell as planned.

Any business is a gamble.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:24 AM

yea but with michigan economy thius bad. the last thing we have is famering and with this its hurting our farmers
Old 09-25-2008, 06:26 AM
Fork Horn

Does Michigan consider Food Plots as baiting?
No wis_bow, food plots are not considered baiting within the guidlines of this new ban. It has to do with the size of the food source. Deer feeding on a large food plot are not as much of a concern as deer feeding on a small bait pile.

I guess this guy was planting and harvesting crops with the understanding that it would be sold as deer feed come hunting season. Not an uncommon practice. It is unfortunate for people like him that are directly affected by a ban like this.

Quick Reply: Michigan man sues DNR for recent bait ban

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.