Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I'm so PISSED at my buddy right now!!! >

I'm so PISSED at my buddy right now!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I'm so PISSED at my buddy right now!!!

Old 09-19-2008, 07:05 AM

Default RE: I'm so PISSED at my buddy right now!!!

Yeah like everyone else has said, you should be pissed. It's this crap that makes farmers and land owners not let ethical hunter hunt. He really needs his ass chewed. Don't let him hunt without practicing, I know it's not your duty to do that, but it needs to be done.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:56 AM
Fork Horn

Definately have a right to be mad. I am.. A friend of mine is trying to get into bowhunting this year and I flat out told him I wasn't gonna let him hunt until he can shoot comfortably from 20, consistantly. He was fine with that. That stinks that you have to treat your friend like that, but, hey, he deserves any whooping that you give him! Give him one for me too, will ya?
Hopefully, like others have said, he learns from this and becomes smarter and a better shooter because of it.
We all have probably lost a deer or two, but what he did was just stupid...
Good luck!!
Old 09-19-2008, 08:55 AM
Fork Horn

happens alot more than ya think
Old 09-19-2008, 09:52 AM

SACK-PUNCH.....
Old 09-19-2008, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd have to check the regs but i believe Man-Law dictates that you slug him[:'(]
Old 09-19-2008, 12:30 PM
Typical Buck

I'd be pissed as well and doubt I'd ever take him hunting unless he changed his ways for the better fast. Like most have already pointed out, this happens more than I care think about. I see the same thing with guys getting into turkey hunting. They figure it just a shotgun so they should be good. Doing it with a shotgun isn’t nearly as bad with a bow. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying it’s OK to not pattern shotgun! We as hunters should ALWAYS take the time to sight our bows, shotgun and rifles properly every year to ensure we make the most ethical kill we can.

Other thing I’d like to ask or state, what the hell is your buddy thinking about taking a 45 yard shot? Even though I’ve been bow hunting for over 20+ years and a staff 3D shooter for two different store, I wouldn’t take a 45 yard shot. Well I take that back, I did take one shot over 40 yards (42 to be exact). But a my resume as an hunter/archer, my confidence in my shooting plus knowing how to read deer mood is the only reason I took the shot which was a doubled lung and recovered within 40 yards of the hit. I’m sorry but I feel your buddy has no right to enter the woods until he has taken a Bowhunters Education Class. If he did already, he needs to take it again.

Good Luck & Hunt Safe

Old 09-19-2008, 12:44 PM
Typical Buck

Could be worse. The guy could have gotten lucky and killed the doe with a perfect shot. At least only one deer is going to suffer for him to learn his lesson. If he made the shot, he could have written the next 2 or 3 bad shots off. "Just bad luck" he would say to himself.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Run an archery shop for a few years. You wouldn't believe how many of these idiots are running around out there and calling themselves hunters.

It baffles me how many people don't even know the word "tune".

I had one guy blame the slick tricks I sold him. He claimed that he made a "perfect double lung shot" then explained that when he shot the deer it hunchedup like apissed off catand walked away. I told him he gut shot it and maybe gotliver at best. Of course he argued with me and purchased some mechanicals.

Even worse is fathers will bring their 10-ish year old sons in to the shop a week or two before the season starts to get a bow set up. When I explain to them that he needs to sit out this season and practice a lot before he tries to hunt the fathers are quick to say "Oh, he's going with me openeing day".

You can't fix stupid!