Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Okay, I'm pissed...... >

Okay, I'm pissed......

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Okay, I'm pissed......

Old 01-25-2004, 10:18 PM

Default Okay, I'm pissed......

Shot at a doe this even near dusk with my bow. Heard a crack so loud I thought I hit the tree behind her. Got down after 20 minutes and went to where I shot her and was looking at the trees for my arrow. No luck finding the arrow, so I went to the truck and got my flashlight. (Waited about an hour total). Well I found blood, no arrow....hmmmm.

Tracked the blood for about 15 yards and found my arrow with blood about halfway up laying next to a small sappling. I had alot of blood for about 75 yds and then it became extremely spotty. Damn mechanicals......I was shooting WASP 100 grn Jak-hammer sst's........They are now in the trash can and will be replaced in the morning with broadheads....All I can figure is they can slip out because they will retract back into place.

How the heck can an arrow pull out that easy? Damn things come out to easy.

Tracked the doe for over 400 yrds and got down to specs of blood....

Game over.....Hated to quit but she ran onto adjoining property and it was futile.....It would have been my first bow kill. Oh well, there's always tomorrow!!
Old 01-25-2004, 10:22 PM

Default RE: Okay, I'm pissed......

Man, that is tough luck and I'm sorry to hear it Do you think that crack was bone?? If so, it might not have mattered what tips you were using...
Old 01-25-2004, 10:25 PM

sounded like I hit the tree...it was that loud......all I can figure is I hit her shoulder blade......(35 yard shot).......
Old 01-25-2004, 10:33 PM

i wouldn't reccomend buying mechanical, retractable, attachable broadheads.

I shoot montec broadheads, you should look into those they are a solid broadhead, and are cut on impact 3 blade. like a zwickey but with an extra blade. there are more broadheads like this one. look into them.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:33 PM

Don't give up too quickly on mechanicals, I have a friend who went to kansas this year shot a buck, hit it inthe upper leg and the arrow hit the bone and bounced right back out like it had hit a brick wall and that was with muzzy's which have a good rep. for penetration
Old 01-25-2004, 10:40 PM

i used to shoot muzzies and have no problems with them, i just prefer a solid broadhead
Old 01-25-2004, 10:53 PM

Yea muzzys are good broadheads what happened to my friend was just a fluke it had to hit dead center on the leg bone I was just trying to point out that it might not have been a problem with his broadhead it may have just have been one of those things that happen occasionly not putting down the muzzys they have to be good because most people that use them are fiercly loyal
Old 01-26-2004, 01:08 AM
Super Moderator

Hitting solid bone squarely can be like hitting a brick wall. Its common for a deer to pull an arrow out, but I would take a guess that the blades broke making it much easier for the deer to pull it out.
Old 01-26-2004, 02:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

35 yards, right at dark ... you don't have any idea where you hit her, do you yet you blame the broadhead for a pretty long shot in fading light ?

How about putting a little responsibility in your shooting ? Its rare that mechanicals fail. Had you hit the deer in the lungs like you should have you'd have been field dressing your first whitetail instead of making a post blaming the broadhead for you failure in putting the arrow where it was suppose to go !
Old 01-26-2004, 04:35 AM
Fork Horn

Stealthycat,

You said it all. I have shot all kinds of broad heads, and I will say arrow placement is everything. I am a teacher of Bow hunters Ed. and we try to teach our new archers not to take shots that far. For your first deer I personally believe that you shot to far. Take the blame on your self if you can admit to your self and others that it was your fault then you will become a better hunter.

Groundhunter,

I wish you the best of luck with up coming hunts, don't give up we have all been in your shoes.

Quick Reply: Okay, I'm pissed......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.