Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 If you just have to shoot a young buck..... >

If you just have to shoot a young buck.....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

If you just have to shoot a young buck.....

Old 09-19-2008, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: If you just have to shoot a young buck.....

Here is my best example that I can think of a deer that should NOT be shot. These pics are from last year. I havent seen him this summer, I really hope he just moved over a section and will maybe return next year. There are so many tresspassers and public land around though that I think that he is dead.

Old 09-19-2008, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

DELETED.. I'm not gonna get into this topic again...
Have a good season..
Old 09-19-2008, 03:18 PM
Typical Buck

original:dukemichaels
As long as you do it in a quick.. ethical.. and moral manner who gives about what any other man thinks.

This is gospel.. not just for hunting but for life.
I couldn't agree more. At the end of the day, we don't have to answer to anyone but ourselves and the good lord above.

However, is it wrong to discussdifferent ideas and philosophies, not only about hunting but life in gerneral? Is that not how we all grow, mature, and develop as human beings into the people we are today abd those that we evolve into a latter stage in life?

I won't take any of those deer jackflap.. but if anyone here would.. that's their own decision and not mine. I don't pass judgement on another man and what he does. Perhaps you should follow the same.
original"jackflap
At the end of the day, I'll support your right to shoot whatever you want, I just don't understand why some people have to shoot the "in between" deer when ample opportunity to shoot a 4 point or spike is there as well.
Trying to understand another's point of view that is different from my own is not passing judgement. That was the intent of the post, to try and understand why someone might not agree with my assessment. That is whyI wrote "agree or disagree?"

But what the heck, sounds like you have already judged my actions as you see them and, from your perspective, that will probably not change. So with that I will reference myself back to your original quote that is highlighted above.

Old 09-19-2008, 04:12 PM

Unless I managed my own property, I would shoot every one of them except for the fawn. Yum, backstraps! That's MY trophy!
Old 09-19-2008, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

quote:

As long as you do it in a quick.. ethical.. and moral manner who gives about what any other man thinks.

This is gospel.. not just for hunting but for life.

I couldn't agree more. At the end of the day, we don't have to answer to anyone but ourselves and the good lord above.

However, is it wrong to discuss different ideas and philosophies, not only about hunting but life in gerneral? Is that not how we all grow, mature, and develop as human beings into the people we are today abd those that we evolve into a latter stage in life?

quote:

I won't take any of those deer jackflap.. but if anyone here would.. that's their own decision and not mine. I don't pass judgement on another man and what he does. Perhaps you should follow the same.

quote:

original"jackflap
At the end of the day, I'll support your right to shoot whatever you want, I just don't understand why some people have to shoot the "in between" deer when ample opportunity to shoot a 4 point or spike is there as well.

Trying to understand another's point of view that is different from my own is not passing judgement. That was the intent of the post, to try and understand why someone might not agree with my assessment. That is why I wrote "agree or disagree?"

But what the heck, sounds like you have already judged my actions as you see them and, from your perspective, that will probably not change. So with that I will reference myself back to your original quote that is highlighted above.

< Message edited by jackflap -- 9/19/2008 4:21:50 PM >
You gave your opinion and I gave mine.

You stated it was your pet peeve that guys go about shooting deer that possibly have great genetics.

My pet peeve is people passing judgment on others and especially hunters judging other hunters.

Maybe you are just trying to learn other philosophies.. maybe you have your own agenda.. doesn't matter to me.

You asked what we all thought.. and I gave it. It may have sounded like an attack but it wasn't. It was just words over the internet.. I would have used smilies.. but thats kinda gay.

If you start a thread with a subject matter like you had done.. prepare for the "disagrees" too. They might just outnumber the "agrees".

Old 09-19-2008, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Worry less about changing the world and what other people ENJOY to do Jack. I know I would get more enjoyment out of watchin someone (Adult or youth) come UNGLUED over shooting a dink buck rather than watch someone shoot a monster and show no emotion at all. At the end of the day were all out there to have a little peace and time alone and most of all have fun. To each his own....
Old 09-20-2008, 08:18 AM
Typical Buck

original:NY/Al
Worry less about changing the world and what other people ENJOY to do Jack.
While there are exceptions, I think it is safe to say that most people ENJOY shooting bigger racked and mature bucks over smaller ones. I said MOST not ALL.

While my thread does not explicitly say so, it is intended for those that have ample deer supply and some control over the hunting. I understand those that hunt heavily pressured public land are in a completely different scenario.

All I have done is float an idea out their for those with an open mind to ponder that is a COMPROMISE between a philosophy that dictactes disallowingshooting any non-mature deer and another philosophy one that dictates live for today only and shoot whatever comes your way.

The first philosophy can result in inexperienced hunters getting discouraged or limiting the opportunites that hunters get to become experienced and to enjoy themselves.

The second philosophy is usually followed up by complaints/whining from the particpants about the fact that they don't have anybig/mature deer in their area.

People can do what they want with this suggestion, but I doubt it will "change the world"regardless.

I was also interested in understanding "why" someone ENJOYS shooting a medicore 2 1/2 MORE than a small 1 1/2 yo when one has ample opportunity to shoot either one. (for me, the satisfaction/enjoyment it is the same but I realize we do not all see thw world the same)
I was interested in what reasons someome might have that I have never considered or how their situation might be different.

I have yet to get an answer. Why is that such a harsh/judjemental/condescending question?

Old 09-20-2008, 09:49 AM
Typical Buck

originalukemichaels

If you start a thread with a subject matter like you had done.. prepare for the "disagrees" too. They might just outnumber the "agrees".
I am not surprised that the "disagrees" outnumber the "agrees".

I did think however that some of the"disagrees"would have more substance to them than what has been discussed. Dogpiling the OP and calling or implying thathe is a jerk doesn't really explain the reasoning for shooting a 2 1/2 instead of 1 1/2 when given the opportunity to do either. But I take no offense or take it personal. I just find the answers shallow.

And not to beat a dead horse but one last question, because yourwhole deal on being judegmental and what that rellly entails gotme thinking.

How do you determine what defines quick, ethical and moral without making judgements? If you ask a large enough population of hunters, you will get varying degrees of definition forall three of those.Below are two real life examples.

#1 I have good friends that are gun hunters that don't endorse BOWHUNTING because they cannot honestly come to grips with how it reflects their ideas on all three of your above mentioned criteria.

#2 I invited a friend and his 14 yo old son to gun hunt the last weekend of the season as his son has limited opportunity to hunt. I rarely allow gun hunting but I had a few more doe that needed to be killed in order to meet our deer management goals. I gave them the go ahead to shoot whatever they wanted, including any size buck. The father was with his on at all times

They elected to rifle shoot a doe "Texas heartstyle". The deer died quickly, but IMO, it was not ethical or moral because over 1/2 of the meat was ruined because of their decision.

On the other hand the father was perfectly okay with the decision seeing as though I wanted some more deer killed and his son hasn't got to hunt much. They actually ENJOYED themselves and felt good about it.

I will not be inviting them back this year based on my judgement on how these hunters handled themselves. Am I wrong in making this judgement?