HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   If you just have to shoot a young buck..... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/263698-if-you-just-have-shoot-young-buck.html)

jackflap 09-17-2008 08:35 PM

If you just have to shoot a young buck.....

shoot a dink not one that shows promise yet today still doesn't amount to much.One of my pet peaves is when I see someone shoot a young deer that has a lot of potential for its age but is still nothing today. You want meat or just have to have a buck......okay that is fine but shoot a lesser one rather than a mediocre one.

I know that there are studies that show that you can't necessarily predict the outcome of a deer when he is mature based on what he is as a 1 1/2, but the theme of the thread is "IF YOU JUST HAVE TO", I think the law of probabilities would still favor the bigger 1 1/2 or a 2 1/2 having more potential.

Here are some pics that express my opinion of what I wish people would pass on vs what I think is more preferred in this category.

This paragraph is an edit as I am a poor communicator and some of the responses are misreading (I think) the opinion I am expressing. My opinion is based on the hunter hunting in a county that only allows 1 buck per season and with some time in the field, you are going to have ample opportunity to fill your tag. At the end of the day, I'll support your right to shoot whatever you want, I just don't understand why some people have to shoot the "in between" deer when ample opportunity to shoot a 4 point or spike is there as well.

Agree or disagree?
Don't shoot regardless

Shoot if you must

Don't shoot regardless

Don't shoot

Don't shoot unless you haven't shot one this big yet

Shoot

Wildcard- Depends on your mood

Deleted User 09-17-2008 08:38 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

blakefrautschi 09-17-2008 08:39 PM

RE: If you just have to shoot a young buck.....

Im not gonna lie, i might shoot the one with the little kickers off the side, depending on the day, and how he looked in real life. but i do like the way that rack looks, im sure he would be a great deer next year.

ProStreetCamaro 09-17-2008 08:40 PM

My question to you would be............. What do you do when the hunting pressure in your area is so great that most people shoots everything that moves? Let them walk 300 yards down the trail so the next guy can kill it because there are VERY few bucks around here that make it past 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 years old unless its on property that can not be hunted. Your statement is true but it only works where there are larger tracts of land and the hunters are more spread out.

GR8atta2d 09-17-2008 08:41 PM

Let me guess...you've never had a 20 page post before??

virginiashadow 09-17-2008 08:44 PM

A man has to go through some trials and tribulations to become a good hunter...that means killing spikes. 4 pointers, smaller does....one has to become proficient at his craft and in doing so, some smaller deer have to die. I have no problems with people having a good time in the woods and killing what they want. Davidmil made a great post the other day about taking deer...at one point he said, IT IS NOT A CONTEST....and I agree.

TexasBowHunter 09-17-2008 08:46 PM

I agree to some extent with you Jack, I have one ranch that we won't shoot anything under 4 1/2 on regardless of antlers (I chose to hunt here and pay for the lease)....Then my family owns a place that I have been trying to manage for the last 15 years but it just isn't working as not everyone is on the same page. I would say that for me it depends on where I am hunting as to what my standards are....

davidmil 09-17-2008 08:47 PM

So what's your point. You shoot what you want, I'll shoot what I want. I don't like Tacos either Tex.[8D]

P.S. The first 6 are dead.:) MAYBE. Depends on my day and how many people have told me what to do.

Matt/TN 09-17-2008 08:47 PM

20 pages here for sure.

I'll shoot what I see fit. Here, at me house, I'm shooting ALL of those minus the spotted fella. As soon as it's out of spots and isn't a button, it's game too!

However, at my buddies farm, only a few are shooters.

I'd be happy with all those bucks with a bow HERE. Once again guys, location plays a big role.

Bowtech 360 09-17-2008 08:48 PM

Every single one of them bucks, and the fawn is down if i get a shot.

this should help with yout 20 page goal