Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 If you just have to shoot a young buck..... >

If you just have to shoot a young buck.....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

If you just have to shoot a young buck.....

Old 09-18-2008, 03:57 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: If you just have to shoot a young buck.....

ORIGINAL: HoosierHunter79

I havent gota buck yet... so any of them would be fine with me
And without even trying you WILL have FUN.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

i would shoot 1, 3 and 5 any day but i wouldnt shoot the rest unless it was real late in the season
Old 09-19-2008, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will put it simply some guys in the hunting world are the slime of the earth and would kill a fawn if they were permitted. Ive seen guys shoot fawns just because they wanna kill something. And i say hunters who kills spikes should be shot themselves. Its not right to kill such a small deer.
Please tell us all that would make us slime - not sure I can continue hunting without your total blessing.

Advocating the shooting of a person because they choose to hunt in a legal manner not agreeing with your "no slime" policy is hardly mature - scary actually.
Do you think we out to behead speeders or just lop off a hand?

Steve
Old 09-19-2008, 06:41 AM

There are a couple of bucks there I mighttake... Fawns? No. I can't see why anyone would, but hey, not passing judgement.

Quite a few folks on here have the opportunity to pass on bucks they think might become quality with fairly good certainty that that buck will be there the next year. I lucked out and have a friend that let me hunt his property.. completely surrounded on three sides by lease property that is run with dogs the entire firearm season. My decision to take one of those depends on any management principles the hunt club around there practices.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:07 AM
Fork Horn

An northern corn-field fawn in late November looks an awful lot like a yearling. It's amazing the difference we'll see her in Minnesota between a scrawny brown coated fawn that just lost their spots in mid-September when our season starts and two months later with their thick grey coat and a body not much smaller than their 1.5 year old mama. They are legal and I would encourage a new bowhunter, especially one with no deer yet, to take one. There is absolutely no shame in it, especially if numbers are high. And it is very good practice for a new bow hunter. No substitute for the real thing and situation.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

If someone wantsto shoot a small young of the year doewhy should anyone care at all? Call it a fawn if you likebut I'm not seeing spots in season.
I have NO shame in knowing I have shot a couple of milk drinkers. I don't want alot of meat and they eat real good. Anyone against shooting young deer is thinking of Bambi and not just a deer..
Old 09-19-2008, 10:27 AM
Fork Horn

I totally agree planter. I have taken a few too when our bag limits were more liberal (3 tags two years ago; one tag total for all weapon seasons now). I still see the same amount of deer but our DNR deer counters claim we're on the brink of disaster. So since I can only take one deer, I hold off on the smaller ones for now. If late November/early Novembercomes and it looks bleak, I start to look for the sure thing and will take the first available shot. I miss the days of taking a doe early, knowing there was meat in the freezer and holding out for the big buck.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nissan300ztt

I will put it simply some guys in the hunting world are the slime of the earth and would kill a fawn if they were permitted. Ive seen guys shoot fawns just because they wanna kill something. And i say hunters who kills spikes should be shot themselves. Its not right to kill such a small deer. Id rather just kill a doe.
Go watch Bambi again tenderheart!!I can't even believe you would think something like that much less post it.

You should get an actualbaby deer and one of those breast feeding bras like in "Meet the Faulkers" that way you could give lots of love and tlc to your little pet deer, wouldn't that be sweet.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Still not clear to me why a doe fawn deserves to live more than it's mother. The fact isthat if your concerned about low numbers of deer in your area you should be shooting young doeof the year deer. Momma has a better chance of making thru the winter and will probably be succesful raising another crop next year.

I LOVE the taste of young deer!! like milk fed vealIt cost me a fortune having four deer butchered last season only to give away %90 so a small deer is just perfect for me to butcher.

Just shoot what you want to. As long as it's legal the choice is yours
It has gotten to the point where you don't even want to enter a small deer in the contest. Rock on boys and girl and remember we are on the same team!!Heck!!! we got guys who have never even shot a deer convinced that they need to wait for at least a 120 class buck.

If you should be shot for shooting a spike I guess you should be flogged if you shoot anything less than a mature deer. Whats the punishment for shooting a fork horn.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I originally ignored this thread for obvious reasons..

Here it goes... take whatever deer makes you happy regardless of what any other man tells you.

As long as you do it in a quick.. ethical.. and moral manner who gives about what any other man thinks.

This is gospel.. not just for hunting but for life.

I won't take any of those deer jackflap.. but if anyone here would.. that's their own decision and not mine. I don't pass judgement on another man and what he does. Perhaps you should follow the same.

I said my words. Peace.

Quick Reply: If you just have to shoot a young buck.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.